09-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #202
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ View Post
F15/F16 M perf lips seem different than other lips with the huge gap of nothing in the middle which with all that down force will eventually make the front of the lip gap if put on with just tape. Ive reinstalled my lip 3 times at shops using everything from 3m vhb,3m automotive and gorilla tape prepping it well sanding it down using 3m adhesion promoter but each and everytime after a few weeks of highway driving the front starts to gap little by little which then my ocd kicks in. I eventually had it betalinked at the dealer and after a month it's rock hard with no gaps now I don't have to check my lip everytime I get in and out of my car..
Old thread, but thought I'd respond. I have the M Performance CF front diffuser on mine for at least 6 months now and what you say is true about 3M vs. betalink. I first went with 3M (done twice professionally) and now with betalink. A couple of observations for me:

1. 3M VHB tape will definitely hold the bumper, but it is almost impossible to remove the small gaps between the bumper and the diffuser, and depending on how OCD you are, it might or might not bother you. To me, after a while I can see the top of the brackets since the 3M tape will expand a bit, especially once water gets in there etc...most won't notice it.

2. betalink is permanent, in that it is literally glued to the bumper. With 3M, you can move the diffuser a bit by tugging on it. However, even with the 3M route, you are still drilling holes in the bumper. Plus, who would want to remove the diffuser once you have it there?
Appreciate 0