View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #78
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Are people really under the false belief that Winter category tires perform well in dry conditions? They simply do not. The sipes and soft compound makes for a dry conditions handling sacrifice I'm not willing to make. UHPAS category tires far outperform Winter tires in the dry. Even saying that, UHPAS feels like my car took off its track shoes for work boots when I swap out my summer rubber.

Winter tires are clearly the best option for snowy conditions, but I simply don't drive in snow often enough to warrant the sacrifice. I suspect that's the case for most people.

The argument that winter tires are bad in dry is a half-truth. They will definitely not handle as sharply as Pilot Super Sports in 70 degree weather with firm rubber/sidewalls. BUT they will maintain better overall traction in cold temperatures, both wet and dry than any AS or summer tire. This is due to the softer compound and siping. I'll take safety over being able to swing my car around 90 degree bends at 50mph for 3 months out of the year. You'll have less effective grip in all seasons in sub 30 degree weather.
Appreciate 2
10"4974.50
wdb4732.00