12-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I have been hearing for years that the 'break-in period' is a thing of the past and no longer necessary. There's certainly a debate there, and BMW hasn't felt compelled to take it out of the manual (again, the lawyers... ?). But I've not worried about that in a long time. Mind you, I only keep them 3 years or so, but I've just always been told, going back probably to my first BMW in '99, that modern engines just don't need this and they already go through extensive testing before we get them.
Yup the DILYSI is controversial (i.e. properly sealing pistons to prevent blow by and burning oil issue vs the modern engine with the enhanced precision), yes the BMW manual caveat could be the lawyer thing. The lawyer thing is also on all the automated driving assisted tools.

Another philosophy is the Mike Miller (MM) maintenance schedule ( MS) wrt maintenance. It is interesting that new for the MY2014 is the shortened recommended oil change interval. MM does say that his recommended MS only reaps benefits if one keeps the car for 100,000 miles.

Last edited by barcelona; 12-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: i think beyond 100k
Appreciate 0