02-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #1945
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The problem with the Supra is that when it was for sale it wasn't iconic. In fact nobody even cared about it. Toyota couldn't sell them. It had a small following but never became notable until the first F&F movie so the reality is that it's iconic as a used tuner car mostly for its engine. The reality is that even if Toyota made the latest Supra, fans of the MK4 would not look on it kindly as it wouldn't have a 2JZ-GTE engine in it as that's what made that car special as the rest of the car was big, heavy, and somewhat homely compared to cars of that day such as the FD RX-7, 300ZXTT, 3000GT.
I'm not entirely sure that this narrative is true. The car was overpriced for sure, but I remember reading Car and Driver as a 12 year old when the MKIV TT came out. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds along with that styling....It was 100 percent my dream car as a child. Yes, the FD RX7 was sexier, so was the NSX but neither were THAT car to me. My best friend's dad even had a C4 Corvette, but I didn't care. It wasn't a Supra.

A few years later, I remember having a conversation with a friend, HIS friend had imported a copy of this new video game Sony had released in Japan that was supposedly coming to the U.S. called "Gran Turismo." We were both so geeked on the game primarily because while we'd driven virtual Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches in games like Test Drive, neither of us had gotten the chance to virtually drive our REAL dream car: The MKIV Supra.

None of my friends could afford the car (or even had licenses) when it came out. But it didn't start becoming legendary because of a fast and furious movie. To a lot of people my age it has ALWAYS been that car.
Appreciate 2
supra932493.00
Tacoma944.50