View Single Post
      03-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #595
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I like your style and appreciate you sharing ideas. I know you don't like to deal with options, but based on your hedge scheme with vix, I would suggest trying a small share of call options on it from time to time, that has paid out well for me. I'm guessing there are times when you have a hunch or even a conviction that vix is going to spike, that can hit like green on roulette. Of course keep the cost basis low wrt your overall portfolio or even the risk portion of it.

When you buy after hours, how do you handle/deal with the greater uncertainty of it, the trades are in lower volume at that time so its hard to gauge momentum, no?
Man I would love to try options but I really fear it, one day I'll put real time into trying to learn it. Like you said being busy makes things hard.

I've actually been watching the VIX since I was a kid, always have had a weird obsession with it. I've never been burned on it. If people looked at my trade history they would see the obsession. Sometimes I can make 30%, more so when I could trade TVIX. Best year was 97% account value gain on just TVIX.

That's why I stick with large companies, still decent volume in after hours and the spread is minimal. If a great company drops 20% because of a down day for all stocks or that sector that's a pretty good bet it will go up. Especially if IBD shows all numbers as a strong company. This is also where the VIX comes in, if it's going up in AH I'll stay away from buying stocks since it may continue to decline the next day. I also stay away from highs, I look across the chart and if it hasn't been at that level multiple time before I stay out. That part goes against the IBD method but I don't like doing it that way.

Like DOCU got in on Friday and its up 3% so far. It had great earnings (but dropped for no reason other then maybe the interest rates), good score on IBD and the software was in a up trend. Hopefully PM or tomorrow it sells.

By Wednesday I want out of all trades minus the VXX due to the FED speaking, that can make for things to be on sale...love those days, also a good day to potentially sell VXX if the market doesn't like what they say. VXX is up almost 1% after hours so tomorrow may be a down day. Either way I win.

Have you ever tried currency trading, that's some wild stuff! Can make some unbelievable cash doing that. I on the other hand aren't fast enough at trades
Appreciate 1