01-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherceg View Post
If you're considering upgrading your instrument cluster, here are my thoughts and experience.

I took delivery of my X5 in April '17. Today, I love everything about my X5, but initially it was not like that. There were few things that just bothered me. Most of them I fixed simply by coding the vehicle. In addition I installed RaceChip Ultimate, roof base support system, and some other stuff. But, the thing that bothered me the most was the instrument cluster. My car is pretty loaded and it came with the 6WA cluster. The half analog half digital display setup just didn't work for me. Not sure what BMW was thinking about when they designed this one. Either give me a nice looking full analog display or a full digital one.

So I decided to upgrade to full digital 6WB cluster. I've spent roughly 2 weeks searching for the best deal. Here are the places where you can find one: 1) Ebay, cost is ~$2500 (coding not included); 2) your local BMW dealership, cost is ~$2800 with no coding and installation included and ~$3200 with coding and installation included; and 3) Bimmer Tech, cost $2200 (coding included). Obviously, I decided to go with Bimmer Tech. Before ordering I had a ton of questions. I've dealt with Nelson and he was very responsive and answered all of them. After getting all the info I needed, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I got the part in 3 days. Installation was quite easy having in mind that I've never done it before. It took me 10-15 minutes to remove the old one and install new one. Now, I could probably do it in less time but first time I wanted to make sure I don't mess something up so I took my time. After this, I scheduled a coding session with Bimmer Tech technician. You do this online, pick your date and time, install some software from Bimmer Tech, connect via Skype at scheduled time and viola, they do the coding in less than 20 minutes. Awesome experience. My cluster looks great, works flawlessly and no issues at all since I installed it (almost 2 months ago).

The bottom line is that I would recommend upgrading and if you decide to do it, go with Bimmer Tech. This is your best option by far. Here is the link if you're interested:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...panel-retrofit
The back ground light of light blue look nicer. Finally, BMW let op have other color choice.
Appreciate 0