View Single Post
      07-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #81
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
Hi, digging up an old thread, because I don't want to start yet another oil thread. Have read through this and the other oil threads in the M3 and M2 forums. Thanks for your all your input and wisdom!

I understand that Castrol Edge 0w-40 is BMW LL-01 approved, and this seems to be supported by the link that Chilled shared earlier: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...epp-cgslmt.pdf

Looking at the automotive shop websites in Australia, the descriptions in the websites themselves say that the oil is BMW LL-01 approved, but if you look at the photo of the actual product, it doesn't seem to actually state this: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...id=SCA01070403

What would be the reason for this? The website using old photos? Or is it the case that unless the Castrol Edge 0w-40 oil is from 7 years ago, then it is likely BMW LL-01 approved regardless of whether the stick states this?

FWIW I probably drive my F86 on average 3 times per week which includes minimum 1 hour continuous driving (so the oil gets up to temp each drive), with some mild spirited back roads driving every now and again (maybe 15-20mins). The reason I mention this is because if there is one thing I have learnt from the threads is - as thin as possible, and as thick as necessary. I have a 'new' rebuilt S63TU motor and the first oil fill up was with a 0w-30 BMW LL-01 FE approved oil. Obviously, being a 'new' motor I have kept RPMs below 4,500 and below 3,500 until oil is up to temp. Have driven a little over 2,000km now, and already got the top up oil message. This seems too soon, and I am thinking whether a thicker (and superior) 0w-40 oil would help for the upcoming oil change.

From what I have read, the LL-01 FE is not good for protection, and I value protection over efficiency, particularly when I am getting the oil up to temp on every drive and some spirited driving, so am leaning towards the Castrol Edge 0w-40 (even if the sticker doesn't say BMW LL-01). Would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Quick explanation, as oil formulas do change, as well as approvals:

0W30 and 0W40 oils that were API SN and SN+ were NOT BMW LL01 approved.
It seems that BMW changed approval requirements allowing either 0W30/40 to be approved again or changing some parameters when it comes to oxidation, so this year 0W30 and 0W40 oils are getting again LL01 and LL04 approvals (I am betting on this). I highly doubt Castrol Edge API SN will get LL01 approval as Castrol has a new line up of 0W40 that is API SP and does have LL01, but it did not hit all markets. Primarily, it is available only in EU now.
New Mobil1 0W40 FS API SP is LL01 approved. API SN was not approved since introduction in November 2015.
Appreciate 1