11-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
After installing them this morning , I drove about 20 kilometers.
I didn't hear anything.
If I check now , and that they are not broken , should I leave them on ?

If I take them off , can I leave the back with the spacers on and nothing in the front ?
You won't be able to hear anything until the wheel comes off the car when the lug bolts break after too much stress.

If they are not broken, then you are fine.

If you take them off, it is ok to just run the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Just curious might be a really stupid question but what would happen if you installed 2 5mm spacers? Obviously having 1 piece would be ideal but i really dont understand how that happens to the front. What exactly is wrong with their design that this happens? is it the spacer not having a large enough lip?
You can use 2 5mm technically, but most of the time, this kind of method will cause vibration. Besides, the wheel may not sit properly since the hub lip is about a little over 15mm and the wheel backpad is chamfered about 3mm.
Therefore, you will only have about 2mm left on the hub lip to support the weight of the car to the wheel.

You can read through my spacer thread from the link that I posted.
In a nutshell, BMW changed the front hub assembly starting MY11/14 to have a longer hub lip into a little over 15mm.

And usually 10mm to 15mm spacer are hub centric, which means, it have the extended hub lip the same diameter as the original hub lip.
With 10mm to 15mm hub centric spacer, they also have 10mm to 15mm depth to clear the hub lip. With a little over 15mm hub lip and in this case only 12mm depth, the spacer won't sit flush against the rotor.
So, by the time you put on the wheel and torque it, you are forcing the spacer to sit flush against the brake rotor and snap that hub centric ring.
Even less than 1mm gap, will cause it to break.

It was a $500 lesson for me. So, please donate?? Hahaha.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0