View Single Post
      09-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #7
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy0109 View Post
Thanks for such a detailed post. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
I have a 2018 BMW X5 with 20,000 miles and I bought it used. The dealer replaced old tires with brand new summer performance tires and I have put 5k miles on it as of now.
We get a few weeks of snow and I'll be driving to ski hill resorts in winter. I had two questions?

1. Should I get non run flat winter snow tires for the winter months? Do the non run flats work fine with BMW X5s?
2. Should I get all season run flat tires and give away my summer performance tires?

I am a first time BMW owner and hoping to get some insights from other BMW owners here?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! I'll be brief because this topic has been discussed numerous times across the forums and platforms already, so play around with the search button. To answer (1), yea all tires technically will work okay, as long as rolling diameters between front and rear aren't more than 1% different.

For (2), what a lot of folks (myself included) do is just skip out on the run-flat and go for normal tires since normal tires are more comfortable, less noisy, should be lighter, and are just relatively cheaper. However, if you are going to have dedicated winter wheels, it doesn't hurt to keep the winter set run-flat since, if I were you, I would hate plugging tires in the middle of a snow storm; the same logic applies if it is a family vehicle, or will be driven by someone who isn't very mechanically inclined to plug a flat.

My use case is this: We live in NYC where it doesn't snow enough to warrant winter tires (even when it does, we just walk or subway lol), so the GF's X5 35d gets all-season run-flat and my X6 50i is on all-season PS 3+. With this being said, both of us are covered by AAA and we mostly fly for anything that's longer than a ~6-8 hours drive. Ski trips are driven with her X5, and spirited summer drives to the mountains are mostly taken care of by my X6. Both vehicles have pumps and plug kits on them, but then I don't expect the GF to actually use them vs AAA.

Assess your use case and see what makes sense. Our priorities are always different than one another. Enjoy the X!
Appreciate 0