View Single Post
      06-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #49
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

I am a detailing nut and have a plethora of products and tools. I put a ceramic coating on my wife's SUV late last summer at the end of a 4-day detail. It looks fantastic and repels water very well. Although I still have 80% of the bottle left and my variable cost of putting it on the M4 would be $0, I didn't then, and still don't plan to do so. I just don't see the need.

You see, the only point of having a coating is to have a "set it and forget it" product. Once you install it, then for the life of it, any other product you put on top will affect its intended performance (water repellency, gloss, static charge etc.) which may or may not be a bad thing, but it can make the coating unnecessary IMO. You are stuck in the coating manufacturer's ecosystem for their sacrificial SiO2 layer an approved soap, rinseless wash, or QD. On my wife's SUV, that is fine as it is large and cumbersome to detail so the sped-up wash process made possible by the coating works well.

I for one, love detailing enough that the twice weekly detail on my car is better served by the other products in my ever-growing collection and the car's relatively smaller size makes it quick to detail regardless.

You can decide which direction you want to proceed in.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 3