View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #841
ManImCool
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Wiper fluid not spraying anymore for front and rear windshields.
Got a wiper fluid low message on the dash for a split second and wiper fluid is not spraying any more. No more fluid low message either in the dash or system menu.
Filled up the windshield washer fluid tank with a full gallon of generic blue washer fluid. Head lamp cleaner works but the windshield sprayers don't. I can hear the pump run when trying to activate the spray. Possibly frozen outlets? Stopped after about 15 tries to avoid burning the pumps.
I don't know if F15 has this same issue, but I had an E90 where they suddenly stopped spraying even though I could hear the pumps trying. After posting the same problem in that respective forum, everyone's first question was whether I was using BMW OEM fluid or literally anything else. Turns out using any non-OEM BMW wash over a period of time will eventually clog your system's filter up. I had to unclog it by getting to the actual pump/tank, requiring me to remove a wheel and the wheel well paneling. Sure enough there was a bunch of nastiness blocking the filter. Cleared that out and everything immediately started working again.

Although I think it's a bit odd that our precious BMWs can only take precious OEM-fluid to remain clog-free, I've only used 100% BMW OEM fluid ever since on 3 different cars and have never had any issues. Whenever I take my car in for dealership service they'd refill with OEM for free if it was noticeably low, but I also always have a couple extra bottles on hand at home in case it's been a while since a dealership refill. You can grab OEM off Amazon for cheaper than the dealership once you've done your unclogging.

Of course, if you've always used 100% OEM with the exception of that generic blue bottle just now being a one-time thing, then your issue is likely different than what I had.
Appreciate 1