Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
They hype everything. People get tired of them being wrong and then when the threat is real, no one believes it.

The year before Sandy, they called two evacuations and the storms went bust. There was a family that lived a few blocks from me on the water. They evacuated the year before and their place got looted. They decided to stay put for Sandy. A storm surge came in and literally pulled the husband, wife and daughter out of the second floor of the house when the water went back out. Two of them died.

My SO had his police radio with him that night. The calls were heartbreaking. People who stayed put were going up to the 2nd floor, then to the roofs calling for help. The streets were flooded with downed power lines and no one could get to them. I will never forget the that night.
We get that numerous times every year here in FL without fail. You basically need to use judgment and err on the side of caution. It was pretty obvious this was not going to be a catastrophic storm but I have 15 gallons of regular unleaded sitting in my garage just in case since they hyped it up on Friday. I moved a handful of things off the patio and moved all patio furniture to the covered part of the patio - no big deal this time.

There have been many I have prepped for only for nothing major to happen. I'd rather prep and there be no storm than not prep and have a surprise. We are far from the coast but anyone near a coastline has to prep like there is no margin for error, because there is none. You always need to leave along the coast if there is a warning of storm surge.
This.