View Single Post
      10-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #71
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I do agree with xeo2002 to a certain extent. 6WB is great - and I love having it. It's sort of rekindled my love affair with this car around the time that I'm usually looking to flip, especially since this cluster isn't available in M cars and I do plan on stepping up to the X5 or X6 M come early next year.

It's definitely not Kia quality. The display is high resolution and looks great in daytime and nighttime. At night, you do see the outline of the screen (common with LCD panels) but it's not a turnoff.

Despite all this, it's actually pretty boring though. What BMW could do is leverage the display more than they do now. I have HUD, so my navigation information is displayed there. I can turn it off and put it in the cluster, but I don't want to - defeats the purpose of the HUD. So what about a small map?

Or some other suggestions:
- album art or Sirius channel art for current media playback
- cover flow type view
- EfficientDynamics charts/consumption history
- actually putting the LDW display up top instead of the static icon
- night vision display
- enhanced on-board computer information/graphics

I just picked up a new 2015 GTI Autobahn for my partner. The screen in the instrument cluster is now color. It can show lots of data on different pages. Something like that would be a great added benefit to 6WB. Plus, VW just announced the new European Passat, with an available full digital cluster like the new TT (shown above). Crazy that VW can do this but BMW can't.

I'm taking delivery of an i8 very soon and the cluster is practically the same, though smaller. The graphics are i8 branded, but it's also still limited in what it can do.

Maybe in the next generation of cars (the GXX ones) they'll improve it a bit. If you've been in a new S-Class, you'll know what I'm talking about.