View Single Post
      10-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #73
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
The Cayenne has a small navi displayed in the bottom right side of the instrument cluster. It was not always well positioned for me. I prefer the BMW HUD.

I would love to have digital cluster for its color schemed and brightness, as well as the flexibility in display items it offers. However, HUD, to me, is far more practical for displaying critical information and more of a must have. The simplified navi in HUD is fabulous.

It would be great if HUD had a toggle switch to allow:

- 5-10 second display of time, date, outside temp
- viewing HP and torque meters ala iDrive display
- viewing parking proximity sensor graphics

The 6WB is well suited to show the iDrive main screen while its controller is in use.

I am sure many of us will upgrade cars to better pair them with our phones. It is a shame there is little backward integration and dealer retrofit for older cars. The one-size fits most of aftermarket solutions are not enticing.

..and back to @Opasha's achievement, I would only do it if I were half as handy and coding-proficient as he is.
Give me a call and I'll walk you through it all if you decide to go through it. Or have someone you trust to unhook your cluster and I can walk you both through it. The coding portion I can help you via TeamViewer. It's very straightforward after you get the gold latches to unhook. The amount of pictures just make it appear more complicated than it really is.