12-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #64
KillerKhan
Eurobimmer
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
When you think Rolex, you should think quality and when you think panerai, you should think cheap. (yes I'm commenting on a really old post but its more a general opinion/post)
Just google the 'scandal' about panerai PAM318, or the fact that they now use snapback backlids on some of their cases. Thats not very worthy of a brand that advocats Military heritage and divers heritage and adapts a ruggedness style.
Even an $80 seiko 5 has a screw down back.
A snapback case only has a purpose on a dresswatch or a lady's watch imho.

Also with a Rolex you're sure to get an inhouse movement. Thats something one should expect in these price ranges, especially these days. I also dont think that the movements Panerai uses are technically as refined as Rolex movements.

I think from the luminor marina there are also versions with snapback case (not sure though)
As a brand panerai is rolling downhill very very fast imho due to these things where they're clearly cheaping out on multiple models. As fast as Panerai got popular, I think actions like these will result in an equally fast demise. Rolex has been at the top of their game for pretty much as long as they have been around. maybe not because of their uniqueness but because of their quality (Panerai used to use rolex parts because of their quality ). Panerai only seem to know how to do one style, and that (used to) rugged military style is now turning into a cheaper, more technically comprimized clone of itself. They're not going forewards, they're going backwards. But maybe I'm looking at it too much from a technical/horological pov.
Maybe if I had to pick a panerai I'd pick a used one from a certain era instead of a new one
I do totally agree with you.
Busness is business but the Panerai heritage has been destroyed and will never come back
The real PAMs are:
- only manual mov, no automatic
- no complications like gmt, rattrapante, moonphase, power reserve, chrono and others... just time and, borderline, the "secondina" (the small dial for seconds @9)
- only radiomir and luminor classic cases, not less that 44mm
- only stainless steel or titanium cases, ceramic is already too much
- no white dials and other frills or marks like Submersible, slytech, black label, 8 days..
Pam should be rough, mannish watches...

I am talking as a proud owner of a semi destroyed 6152 Marina Militare

Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50