View Single Post
      05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
About a month after I started using a winder one of my Rolex's spring sprung. The jeweler couldn't say it was related, but he could not say it wasn't. Like surlynkid said, I was using it so I didn't have to set the time/date on each of my watches when I wear them. Now I just use the winder as a case with it off and set the time on the one I wear that day like I always did before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_ms3 View Post
Sorry Poohbore, but the 2 posters above are DEAD WRONG.

Get a winder. The winder keeps everything running and lubricated. Yes, you will cause wear on the watch by having it run all the time, but that's normal. That's why you have it serviced. Watches are designed to run. Keep the main spring wound and the gears moving. Leaving a watch sitting 99% of the time will make for more expensive services in the future.

/Just the random musings from a guy who has been collecting for years and has a few M3's worth of watches on hand.
I don't know what you think about my post could possibly be "dead wrong". I never said winders are bad or good, or actually caused the spring to break (or didn't). What I do know is one of my Oysters that I bought in 1999 (manufactured in 1998, so it sat still in a box for a year) ran flawlessly for all of these years no matter how long it sat off of my wrist. Sometimes depending how lazy I am to set another one, it gets worn for 2 days in a row, or sometimes once a month. It's had 2 normal services from my AD and it's always ran like a champ ...until a month after I started using a winder.