wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Looks fantastic. I have a few questions if you dont mind:
What do the Euro LED headlights do differently than the US LED's?
I understand the amber flash on the rear tails. Wont the euro headlight switch which incorporates the rear fog button work on our US versions? I did this on my current M5. Simply installed the euro headlight switch, (no coding) and I got rear fogs. I am looking to do this to my new X6M as well.

Thx in advance. Truck really looks great. Any thoughts of continuing the black treatment in the rear? Roundel, badge, exhaust tips? I just got the IND black roundel and badge.

All the best
At the most basic level, the European LED headlights have a different beam pattern and cut off. I prefer this to the US version. More light is cast to the side of the road, and the pattern is more asymmetrical than symmetrical.

The control modules are also different, and fully support the variable light decoding and anti-dazzle features. Yes, some people have reported "success" to a degree, but knowing what I know about the technology and having used it in Europe, the EU headlights are required for 100% full functionality. I'll try to capture a video at some point of just how they're supposed to work vs. how they work with the US ones.

As for the rear, no, the switch itself will not work to activate the rear fogs. I did the same in my F10 M5, where changing rear lighting was plug and play. The F15/F16/F85/F86 use newer generation lighting controls (several modules like FEM and REM rolled up into BDC_BODY) and the US lights are not wired for rear fog support. While you can code the switch to work, the wrong bulbs light up.

Full rear fogs and full retrofit of the European tails requires multiple pin reassignments on the BDC_BODY ECU and added wiring from the module to the rear. Having bricked one ECU previously and the risk of voiding your warranty, I do not recommend the retrofit.

Here is a video of the rear lights in action:

No desire for any more black, really. I thought about it but decided against it for now. I will be working with Dinan on some things, so black tips will likely come with one of their terrific exhausts.