09-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #20
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Again, if you want to keep it as original as possible an RSC is not the way to go. My wife's Tudor with tritium dial and hands could only be serviced by them if I would allow them to replace the dial and hands. I did; the cost was $1500 for the full service. A watch from the time period in discussion will likely have tritium as they started replacing tritium with Luminova in 1998.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=tritium
That's funny, because when I sent my 1973 GMT for service to the RSC I told them I wanted just the movement serviced and that was it. Nothing else was to be touched. If they wouldn't do what I wanted, please send it back.

My AD, with whom I'd sent it through, thought it would be "great to have a brand new watch again" with all the new parts and actually argued with me about it. They had no clue that the insert as-is was worth 10x what a new one is worth I had to explain to them why it was worth more as original rather than restoring it. They agreed and sent it in.

Of course RSC had made several "recommendations" during the service - polish the case, change the dial and hands, replace the insert etc. My dial and hands to not glow at all anymore.

I declined and they serviced just the movement and sent my watch back. Now I have a warranty on the service work and fully backed and authenticated by Rolex. This is a big deal when it comes to watches without any paperwork as my GMT does not have any.
Appreciate 0