02-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
Hi, I have a vehicle for sale listed on one of the internet sites and wanted to get your opinion on if I am being scammed or not.

I have this "interested" buyer who is located half country away from me and he reached out first via a text message asking for additional photos/information about the vehicle be sent to his email. I first responded with a text asking what specifically he wanted to see, but had no immediate response. I then sent him an email to which he responded asking which vehicle this was in reference to as he lost track of his requests. I sent him the link to my add and soon enough got a response that he is pleased with the vehicle, wants to buy it for his wife and wants to know if wire transfer method of payment is good with me, after which his mover will come to pick the vehicle up. I responded Yes, but honestly was expecting the conversation go further into pre-purchase inspection topics and vehicle history (it's is not clean, but clearly stated in my add), but the "buyer" wants my bank information now and acts like he's itching to send me the funds yesterday.

I asked for copy of his Driver's License so I can draft up a Bill of Sale, and he did sent me a copy, which appears legitimate. My fraud radar is pretty high (I work at a bank and hold a Certified Fraud Examiner certification) and I was initially very skeptical, but wanted to see "where this whole thing might go". I know that you cannot simply recall a wire transfer and even if he's using illicit funds, those should not theoretically be recoupable from me. I think I cover all my bases, and that leads me to wondering what may I be missing. Did the world change so much that people buy $50k cars sight unseen not even talking to the seller life, or am I really being taken for a ride? Is he just trying to get my banking information and potentially steal something? Will I have the Feds knock on my door 3 months down the road? Where is the catch?

The most amazing thing about this is bolded in your quote. How can you hold a Certified Fraud Examiner cert (whatever that is) and even think this guy is legit?

Have you talked to him on the phone?

Ask him to overnight a bank draft.... not that the bank draft will be good, just to see if he'll spend the money on overnight fees. In the past, this is where I lose scammers.

Have him send you a picture of him holding his drivers license.

Where does the IP of his email say he's from?

There are tons of thing you can do to verify if he's legit.

I would be sooooo surprised if this guy was legit.

Anyway, have fun messing with this guy. It's can be fun when you get one on the hook.
Appreciate 1