View Single Post
      01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Did you get it? Or did you choose the B-ling?

Nothing wrong with either watch. Both are quite nice. Neither is manufacture, so that's not factor. (If you are the sort that cares about long term collectability and in-house movements, you'll want the Transocean instead.) The B-ling uses an ETA/Valjoux movement -- 7753 or 7750 depending, respectively, on whether you choose the two or three sub-dial version. Both are rock solid and you'll have no issues with them.

For looks, just comparing the Omega with the Breitling, I'd say it depends on which B-ling Superocean. The Heritage version (BSOH) of that watch is just awesome looking and, IMO, better looking than the Omega. The standard Superocean doesn't look as nice as the Omega Seamaster or the BSOH, IMO.

The Omega uses the 3300 co-axial which has Omega's patented co-axial escapement just as does the 9300 co-axial movement. The biggest difference between the two: the 3300 is made exclusively for Omega by F. Piguet and the 9300 is made by Omega.

Some folks forums have reported issues with the 3300 and 2500 co-axial movements. Based on what I've read, those two movements are very much like BMWs N54 motor and it's HPFP issues in that some watches are affected by the problems and some aren't.

I have an uncomplicated Seamaster and it has the 2500. I haven't had a problem. On the other hand, that watch sits in a drawer and I don't often wear it. Here's another person's take on the matter: http://www.pakiemak.com/2010/04/are-...-and-3300.html.

At the end of the day, if the risk will keep you up at night, buy the B-ling Superocean, either one BSOH (pick the size that suits you) or standard. Were I buying right now, I'd pick the BSOH 44. If I'm going to use it as a daily wearer, I'd pick the blue one. Were I buying it as an alternate watch to wear, I'd pick the rose gold plated one on the brown rubber strap (it also comes on the croc strap) and I'd buy a mesh bracelet to accompany it. If I were very particular about the chrono dials, I'd pick the rose gold plated one too because all the others have silver hands on the subdials and at times, silver dials against black backgrounds can be harder to see.

On the matter of readability and ergonomics, I think the Omega beats out the B-Lings in general. If I recall correctly, the sub-dial hands on the Omega are lumed. So if you want to use the chrono feature in the dark, the Omega is the way to go provided it's a Superluminova coating that's used. I include that proviso because quite frankly, if it's a standard lume coating, you won't be able to see it after about five years anyway. You know your lifestyle and whether that matters. For myself, I know that five years from now, I won't deliberately be anywhere at night where I'm going to care about timing something with a chrono. Hell, I don't do it now in the daytime, which is why the readability of the chrono hands/dials is irrelevant to me and why I'd pick the blue BSOH as my first choice.

One other ergonomic factor, the mesh bracelet clasp on the BSOH. I'd once read that it's a tough one to release. I gave it a try when I was at a store over the holidays. It is quite secure. I guess that's pretty important for a dive watch. I speculate that if you are taking it on an off daily, it could be annoying. If you are the "wear it all the time" type, it's not likely to matter.

As goes the Omega on ergonomics, the biggest gripe I have with all of Omega's co-axial escapement watches is the thickness of the things. All of them are somewhat bulky, which is to say, the heft is noticeable. They also wear a bit bigger than does the B-ling, IMO, but you have to be the judge of that as our wrists are surely different, as are likely our tolerance for such things.

I realize the "down sides" I've pointed out are all minor. That's probably to be expected at this price point. Several grand is a lot to spend for major problems.

Well, those are my thoughts. As I said at the start, both are quite nice. So if you already bought the Omega, don't think I'm dogging it. I'm not. I have a Seamaster too and when I bought it, I chose it over plenty of alternatives, so I definitely don't dislike the watch.

Lastly, FWIW, if any of what I've said puts you off, a very comparable alternative is Tudor. They offer a couple chronos too. The Heritage one is the newest, but the Fast Riders is the one I like. Essentially, movement wise, the Heritage Tudor is the BSOH 44mm and the Fast Rider is the BSOH 46. While I prefer the movement of the BSOH and Tudor Heritage, the looks of the Fast Rider are far sportier and I like it's looks far better than the Tudor Heritage.

All the best.

Breitling Superocean Heritage 44 (B23 movement )

Breitling Superocean Heritage 46 (B13 movement)

Breitling Superocean II M2000 (Quartz - multiple colors available)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0