View Single Post
      04-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #55
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

This thread reminds me of a story.

So in any International Arrivals Terminal in India, one must have his/her bag go through a second X-Ray machine if told to do so, upon exiting the airport. Basically, the officer on duty spots out the people from USA, UK, etc. and tells them to put their stuff through the X-ray. Most of these people carry a lot gold jewelry, electronic, etc in their bags, which technically need to be declared. If it's a small amount, your fine, but if you have large amount or quality stuff, the officers will start threatening you with fines in the name of taxes...which means pay me something and I'll let you go.

My dad and I had to go to a cousins wedding a few years back. I was wearing my Panerai, my dad was wearing his Platinum Day-Date. There was some dude on our flight who happened to be going to said wedding also. He was wearing an all Gold/Stainless Daytona. Was talking up his watch, called my dads watch a steel watch (which my dad just agreed to lol) and yeah. Kind of a douche.

Either way, at Mumbai it was time to exit the airport. We didn't have much in the way of Gold in our bags, but we did have electronics. Daytona guy tagged along us and got flagged out by the officer for his watch. The officer looked at my dads watch, and my watch and let us go.
Appreciate 2