edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Manufacturers play this game where they get better values using different methods. Castrol on other hand genuinely uses for example D93 instead of D92 to determine flash point as they obviously think it is better, although to general public it looks as worse result.

I am skeptical about Liqui Moly since I worked as test driver for oil blender in Europe some 16-17yrs ago. We tested a lot of oils for comparison and Liqui Moly was becoming popular, so we used it too. It had actually worse results than some of the small really unknown blenders here like INA, OLMA, MOL, and some others. I bet they improved a lot, but IMO, not on par with big names.

That being said, they are approved for some of the most stringent approvals. It is still good oil, just there are a lot of excellent oils in this game.
Interesting. They must have improved since then as so far have had excellent luck with Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5-40 plus the Mos2 additive. Below are pics from my original N63 that has been tuned to S63 power levels at 138K miles when I replaced the valve stem seals and decided to pull the heads to remove the excessive carbon build up from driving 40K miles with bad stem seals.

Everything appeared to be in excellent shape for the miles & cylinder leak down were all within 5%. Engine is now at 175K miles and is driven like its stolen every day. No doubt there are better oils, at least on paper, but this has been working so well for me I am going to stick with it. Any oil that nets 175K+ miles in a 560hp low 12 second 1/4 mile 5500lb tank has to be doing something right.
Again, their oils are approved for most stringent approvals.
But, this topic is like: do you prefer Michelin Pilot PS4S or Yokohama Advan Apax V601?

They will do job. This is matured industry. But, product they offer is marked up bcs. Made in Germany and shameless marketing, while you can pick up better product in local Wal Mart. That is what I am saying.
Appreciate 0