View Single Post
      08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
TyantA
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I'd rather deal with a rear end damaged car, rather than front end.
Potentially front end can cause the car to drift left or right when you lighten up on the steering wheel or it can also eat through expensive tires because the work wasn't done correctly. . . and in my experience it never is.
It is this that has me worried as it's happened with my wife's car. Chewing through tires, parts that don't stay snapped in, drifting, more engine vibration etc. Then again it was t-boned, front passenger side.

Quote:
I'd drop back a year or two and look for a similar car (no accidents) to pop up.
These cars lose 25% of their value in the first year. Mine was a $60,000 MSRP yet a year later I paid $45,000 certified used with like 4 years left on the warranty plus 100k on the drive train.
I'm looking at 2014 based on my test drives and the advice here. Not willing to go further back than that Also not sure if there were issues with 2014 that should have me looking at 2015 or not.

Quote:
My daughter just bought a 2014 toyota sienna minivan last week from a toyota dealer. It had a clean carfax.

But the previous owner left his maintenance records in the glove box.
So much for toyota's certified used 160 point check list they performed, they never even bothered to open the glove box or they would have removed that paperwork. This is what works on our cars

There was a repair record for $2,600 in body and parts repairs and it looks like the sliding side door was involved and since it was not on the carfax, it was probably done at some schlock shop

Trust "no one" especially when you are dealing with someone selling you a used car. If the dealer would have found that paperwork, do you think they would have made her aware that it was in an accident???
They would burn what ever they found.
Crazy.

Thanks TallTrees for the other pic for reference. That too is crazy.
Appreciate 0