View Single Post
      03-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Volkswagen AG's new RWD compact hatch

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/01/...vw-meb-geneva/

This car actually made its online debut last week (it's being presented live at the Geneva auto show this week), but it was easy to miss since a certain other automaker dominated the headlines on the same day.

Yes, this is an EV, and it is one of the first compact ones from a mainstream manufacturer built on a dedicated electric platform (BMW actually had them beat by years, but the i3 architecture is too costly to use as a solution for a cost-constrained small vehicle family). As such, it benefits from one of the lesser talked about benefits of the EV shift - the promise of cheap, compact RWD vehicles.

Unfortunately, being a Seat branded vehicle, this won't come to the US. In fact, even the upcoming VW-branded I.D. electric hatchback that rides on this same platform is not expected in the US. However, in time, enthusiast-geared small RWD EVs should become a reality, and certainly some of them will be sold in the states. I am excited about the possibilities.

There is some irony here in that BMW is moving to a FWD platform for their compact vehicle range, including the next generation 1 Series hatchback models, just as VW and others are moving to a dedicated EV platform featuring RWD.
Appreciate 0