03-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The target customer for the BBMW watches is the person who doesn't have an issue with ~$3.5K - $7K for a novelty watch. If the prospect of spending that much to obtain the novelty of the BMW themed watch bothers one, one just simply isn't part of the target market. If one thinks, "Oh, cool. I like that watch and having the BMW roundel on it makes it a fun watch to wear when I drive my BMW car to a BMW event/gathering, and wear/display my other BMW themed "stuff," one might be part of the target market. For such consumers/enthusiasts, whether the watch is a better or worse product than a comparably priced watch isn't the point.

I don't know if you've looked at the BMW Lifestyle catalog, so perhaps you aren't aware of the wealth of stuff that BMW and its fashion industry partners have concocted and onto which they've stuck a BMW roundel. Watches aren't even the tip of the proverbial iceberg. (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PDF/4156BM...-14_M2A_LO.pdf) I can't imagine that anyone buys any of that stuff for any reason other than that they think it nifty to have "whatever" item with a BMW roundel on it. Whether there are higher grade items available elsewhere, again, isn't the point.

All the best.
Thank you for the response. I now understand a little more the appeal this watch may have and it makes sense. Of the watches I've seen with car names on it, this one is the one done in the best taste and the only one I would even consider putting on my wrist. Most of the others are just marketing abominations.

I do not consider myself a BMW lifestyle enthusiast but I do find this watch attractive. If there were a chance that I'd be interested in a watch with BMW legitimately on the dial this would be it. Ball has a great and respectable history in watchmaking and BMW in the automotive world, a great union.

I think I'd still take the IWC but in the context in which one shops for this watch, the IWC would likely never be cross shopped.
Appreciate 1