06-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #472
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15 50i msport

What is this turbo Lag???

Man!!!

I read what it is but when does it happen or when is it supposed to happen?
I have not had any problems with my F15 50i M Sport pkg.

As time passed i observe new things. I mostly drive in comfort mode not realizing / feeling what this mode is suppose to do though i have read about it.
Well it is the default mode too. Eco mode stops each time at the read light and you cannot move faster because then its purpose fails.
I very few times am by mself in the X5 and thats when i use sports or sports plus mode...Hahaaa!!!
Anyhow even in comfort or sports or sports plus mode the pickup from a standstill till 20mph or maybe even 30mph is like the speed of a Civic in eco pro mode and then it shoots like hell is let loose. Or if i am moving real slow and suddenly i hit the gas full on...same thing.

Is this turbo lag?
Believe it or not the X5 does not go beyond 132 mph and after that is just sits there on that speed limit. Upon searching on the web why, i come to know that BMW limits their own vehicle despite them being a sports vehicle. WHY? why? whY? WhY? wHy?

One day a Mustang in white stopped next to me at a red light and revved his engine telling me lets do it. Not knowing what he's got under the hood, I revved my engine too. Hahahaha. My first time in racing.
Again due to that 0 to 20 or 30 speed problem that i have, he had a good start and moved ahead of me but once i reached 30mph i could see him gradually move backward. Probably he had slowed down or we were done with 0 to 60.

So I went to BMW service center and my service advisor connected me to the a guy who does quality and all sorts of problem checks in all BMW models. He concurred to this problem of mine and said this is turbo lag.

He said in comfort mode, the engine starts in 2nd gear and instead of using the button for sports or sports plus mode use the stick and shift in sports mode S"x" where "x" is the gear you might be in aleady when you shift the stick to the left. He said this will always start in 1st gear.
He also said how you drive is to what the engine adjusts to so if you rev up the engine and drive faster than what you usually do then the engine adapts to that and the response to hitting the gas paddle will be more sensitive and quicker.

So what do you people have to share or comment about this?

Last edited by piyush128k; 06-10-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0