03-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
DallasCajun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Base

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
I picked up my new X5M a couple of weeks ago and have been loving it, but the one area that it seems wanting is interior sound. It is certainly aggressive, but doesn't seem very refined. I was actually beginning to think that there was something wrong with the ASD in my car.

So, I unplugged it this morning before going on a 20-mi drive up the highway and through some city streets. I drove with it in Efficiency and Sport+ modes (flaps closed and open). To me, the sound was the same, just less of it. The tones seemed the same, just less volume. I stopped for gas and plugged it back in to get a back-back perspective...and it validated my perspective: ASD pretty much just increases the same sounds that are already being generated. I know ASD does use artificially generated sounds, but to me it's about the same.

To me, if BMW knows that the sound needs to be improved enough to create a system such as ASD, it seems they would have found a better sound to pipe into the interior. It doesn't sound bad, but it certainly could be improved upon.

I've had a 911 with the Sound Symposer and my wife has a current Beetle Turbo with a similar solution...those are awesome. Her car sounds like an old air-cooled VW/Porsche from the interior, I love the sounds in her little car.

I'll be keeping my ASD active as I think it's better turned on as opposed to unplugged. I'd love to find a hack to insert different engine tones though

2023 Ford Bronco Raptor, 2017 BMW 540i, 2016 BMW X5M, 2011 BMW M3, 2011 Carrera GTS, 2010 Panamera S, 2009 911 Carrera S, 2001 Boxster S - gone
Appreciate 0