06-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #40
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
AZTWW
How’s the reliability so far with bm3 tune? I’m about to pull the trigger this week, but from their website, I see it’s still a beta version, which got me worried.
I understand that my extended warranty will be ruined after flash tune, but I can’t resist the extra power. So do you think it’s completely safe to use the tune for another 3 years without worrying about repair bills? Will the stock engine with 91 gas can handle that amount of power on long-term based?
Thanks
These tuners have tuned on a variety of various BMW engines for many years. OTS tunes are developed within a fairly tight safety margin for what these engines have historically been able to handle. A 100hp bump for a BMW turbo engine is not uncommon and is expected. These things are well over engineered. I had tunes on my n54 engine for 4 years and had no issues outside of fuel system things that notoriously failed anyway.

You purchase BMWs own tune (if they made one for the 50i) and it basically would give you a 50hp more...these tuners put another 50 in there since BMW isnt going to allow you to get X5M levels at 30k cheaper. They have no incentive to do that but they know their engines are more than capable.

All conjecture of course but I think you are completely safe with a OTS tune. If you start heading north on the hunt for more HP, then your risk will continue to rise.

Hope that helps. So far, I have had no issues and I just went off warranty in June (knock on wood).

Oh and the tune is in its 4th revision so it's not beta.
Appreciate 0