View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #19
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

I did this install over the weekend and figured I'd post a few notes that might help anyone attempting this in the future. First off, the parts were exactly as advertised, top quality, and packed for shipping. Great product.

Install wasn't too bad (certainly not as tough as the front grilles or painted reflectors!). Definitely mask up the entire area around the grilles well, even getting the tape under the piece when feasible. Since the OEM pieces are NOT taped in place, but only held in by plastic tabs, you'll be able to floss the masking tape behind the original side grille. Double up on tape layers just to be safe.

I found removing the side grilles was easiest by starting on the inside of the wheel well, actually. I already had the wheel off since I was doing the painted reflector, and you have total access to the side grille from the inside of the wheel arch. This way, I started to pry from behind the original OEM piece instead of working from the outside in, and this allowed me to loosed the piece a little bit. Between that and then applying pressure with my hands, grasping the OEM piece from the front, I was gradually able to loosen the OEM piece. I only used the above mentioned bondo spreader (I actually used a set of plastic trim removal tools, as well as vinyl wrap spreaders) a little bit.

The OEM tabs are either pressure fit or bent over in place. So you will have to break them, so don't be alarmed. It's easy to do, just be methodical and patient. One side grille came off in a single pull, the other gave way a couple tabs at a time. You'll likely then need to push the broken bits of the tabs in as there's no way to remove them.

I intended to order my side grilles with double sided tape pre-installed, but forgot to do so. So order some up or be specific. Once the OEM piece and masking is removed, clean the area as described, and then install is super easy. The tape will MORE than hold this tiny trim piece, and that's why I imagine the other install technique mentioned above isn't outlined anywhere. Double sided tape is strong as hell, and will more than hold this piece.

In short, a pretty easy install. Just be careful to the paint, and patient.

HTH - Jon
Appreciate 1
Mgarage66.50