09-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Sunbrite is the big name in all-weather displays. Another name is Seura... These are probably comparable to Sunbrite performance, but they have a nicer build quality. The case is more aesthetically appealing, and they incorporate a small weatherproof storage compartment to hide the HDMI extender (aka: balun) that is usually used in outdoor installs.

Because of the significant price distance between a true all-weather display, and a cheap indoor TV... This comparison comes up all the time.

1. In this area (Metro NY) you're DEFINITELY going to have to bring the indoor tv inside during the winter if you expect it to turn on in the spring. A true outdoor display can stay outside year round.

2. Another big advantage for outdoor displays is they are much brighter. This makes them more viewable in bright conditions. This is why the waterproof cases or treatments for an indoor TV are usually a big fail.

3. Keep in mind you probably want a true outdoor mount. I've seen some ugly rust stains that had to be tended to because the homeowner decided he didn't want to pony up for a proper outdoor mount.

In summation.... if you're going to only watch the display at night; are willing to take it in every winter; have an eve or something protecting the display from direct moisture; and are ok with replacing the TV every couple years... you might be able to get away with an indoor TV outside. Otherwise stop trying to half step the situation and invest in a proper all-weather display.