Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
From non BMW downpipe prior experience a thermal coating is more than just paint. It insulates the pipe keeping underhood temps down and increases internal gas flow (that last part I haven't tested)

I'm about as cheap as they come but for the sake of $80 I would get a true thermal coating. The difference in radiated heat is very noticeable on things like motorcycle exhausts which is my only experience with such coatings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
When I had to install mine aftermarket vrsf for f32, I just bought thermal wrap at autozone. It was $11 as far as I remember. Fully wrapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Thermal wrap is a great solution to keep the engine bay temps in check since it reduces the radiant heat by keeping the heat inside the exhaust, which also makes the exhaust gases move faster. It is a better option than thermal paint IMO and it prevents the DP from heating up the incoming air by increasing the engine bay temperature. Our DPs are easy to wrap unlike some complex curved exhaust manifolds.
All very valid points. Gems like this is why I wanted to make this thread so thanks. I'm going to look into the wrap. I'm sure the shop doing my install will wrap it with no extra charge since it's easy (as long as I provide the wrap). The only concern with wrapping the dp is it will increase the overall diameter so with tight fitment as is I wonder if the wrapped portion will rub against a mount or brace? And will the clamp still fit around the dp or does the clamp go on before the wrap?
https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...rap/720807_0_0

This is something I used. To wrap a dp, it takes 3 min.
Appreciate 0