View Single Post
      12-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #41
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

[QUOTE=Sophisticated Redneck;28408294]Catastrophic failure like this at such low mileage can only be caused by one of the two reasons: Absolute negligence (running out of oil, failure to change oil, etc) or Absolute mechanical failure either through a manufacturing defect or abuse.

Assuming you are like most M owners, we can rule out negligence and abuse. This leaves is only with a manufacturing defect, either in assembly or in a part itself.

I would be highly suspect of your oil pump chain and oil pump sprocket. It is unusual for an engine with such low mileage to have issues with these however it's not impossible. Three tiny little bolts hold on the oil pump sprocket and they have been known to come loose. The Chain has no tensioner and can become loose too (I made a video on it below).

I would have your mechanic pull the lower pan, which is super easy to do on the X5, and inspect the chain and sprocket.

Thank you so much for this information. I will pass this on to the mechanic tomorrow and keep you posted.
I appreciate you!
Appreciate 1