View Single Post
      05-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
HVYWGHT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT

Garage List
The major problem with the exterior is that all automakers are conforming to A) pedestrian crash regulations and B) better aerodynamics to squeak out every last bit of fuel economy. The former makes the front of the cars all upright and the space from the top of the wheel to the top of the hood too great. The latter and the former combine to slowly make every vehicle have a similar overall shape.

All of the large exterior changes make the F15 far more aerodynamic which smooths out the rear wheel arches (so less aggressive) and makes the hatch area messy (and oddly Acura MDX-like).

Overall, I like the front end design. The side-profile is ruined by the extra space beyond the D-pillar with the hatch- the back is simply large and not very clean. The E70 had perfect proportions- there's no arguing there.

The interior was in much need of an update and it appears to be first-rate. Assuming you still have the clear view out of the E70, it will be a welcome place to spend many hours.

The efficiency will be great. The interior is beautiful. The exterior will do. The real question is whether we have lost another good driving BMW. It used to be any model BMW would drive well- these days you have to very specific. The 5er is horrible, the X3 is okay with the electronic dampers set to sport and the F30 works only in RWD with the sport suspension set in sport mode (too many specifics for a group of cars that should inherently be the best handling and steering cars in each class).

A close examination in person followed by a test drive will reveal the F15's true self....
-'12 BMW 328i (E91): Tasman Green, Oyster, 6AT; 6/12-4/17
-'04 MINI Cooper (R50): Indi Blue w/White Top, Black, 5MT; 1/04-
Appreciate 0