View Single Post
      05-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #346
LCI550M
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 and F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iebimmerguy View Post
My car is at the dealer going on a week. I have 7100 miles on it and she has a rattling noise that you can hear with the windows down, when driving in an alley or along side a building. My passengers tell me "sounds like your car is pinging or falling apart"
Completely stock inside and out.
Drove with the dealer foreman and he was saying the N55 is sort of a noisy engine but that my noise is more of a flapping noise.
Update 2 days ago was that they cannot find the source, but mentioned the turbo as a possibility.
My car also has a metallic tapping noise randomly with the engine OFF coming from the VVT. Not sure if this is related or not.
Discouraging to me knowing that this brand new car is in there being driven like crap over and over as they try and correct the issue.
Anyone else have similar issue?
I use premium Shell or Chevron fuel as I do in my other BMW's, thats the first thing I was asked when I drove the car and they heard the sounds from underneath the vehicle.
Keep us posted. This sounds like a potential serious issue.

Could it be wastegate rattle in the turbo housing? This was a common thing with the N54 motors. Have't seen any case of this for the N55.

I have seen several cases of N55 engines with faulty rod bearings causing rod knock and complete engine failure. One case the engine had less than 1K miles on a brand new X5

Another thing it could be some sort of purge valve located on the engine. My N54 had some sort of purge valve and it was common for it to tick constantly during idle. Sounds like a faulty valve but it wasn't. Can't remember what purge valve it was though. Since it was common for that engine i never had it changed.

Joe
Appreciate 0