View Single Post
      04-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Invisihitch - Details

So I ready through several threads talking about this product but did not find a ton of detail. So after going though them directly I thought I would share this information for anyone interested in this option.

Here's some information about our hitch:

First, our hitch is completely invisible while not in use. There is no visible steel beam and no unsightly bumper cutout. In other words, no loss of style. Your X5M will look exactly like it does right now when you're not using the hitch.

Here's how we accomplish this:

Our steel hitch beam is designed as a replacement for the metal bumper that's currently hiding behind your car's plastic bumper cover. Our hitch bolts to the vehicle exactly like the original bumper, and it replaces the bumper's function. And instead of requiring a hole in your decorative bumper cover, the opening to our hitch points down toward the ground.

When you are ready to use the hitch, insert our ballmount or rack receiver upward into the hidden latch, and it instantly locks to the hitch beam. Then, when you are done using the hitch, reach underneath and turn a hidden handle to release the removable piece. There's a key lock integrated into our design to prevent anyone else from removing the ballmount or rack receiver.

This design gives you two benefits in addition to the obvious aesthetic advantage: 1) in the case of a rear-end accident, our hitch beam has no permanently protruding receiver so it flattens uniformly and distributes collision energy across the rear of the vehicle; and 2) our hitch has no forward/aft play in the ballmount connection. Plus, unlike the BMW-dealer hitch, the tow ball on our hitch is a user-swappable ball, so you can tow trailers with different size couplers.

We offer our invisible X5M hitch in two different packages,

(all prices include shipping):

Rack-Only Package

$615 -

Invisible hitch with vertical latching mechanism

Removable 2” square receiver for racks (not tow rated)

Perfect for bike racks, ski racks, cargo platforms, etc

Complete Tow Package

$1219 -

Invisible hitch with vertical latching mechanism

Two separate removable pieces:

Removable ballmount for towing

Removable 2” square receiver for racks

Safety-chain attachment points

OEM trailer-lights wiring harness

OEM control module for the wiring harness

Programming service to activate the OEM control module

Additional custom coding of the vehicle at your option

7-way and 4-way electrical receptacle

Rated for 7700 lbs towed weight / 600 lbs tongue weight

For towing, our one-piece ballmount performs differently than the typical ballmount that slides into a hitch receiver. Our ballmount inserts upward and latches directly to the hitch beam, creating a solid connection to the vehicle with no play. This eliminates the jerking and banging that often accompanies towing during stops and starts. It feels more like an extension of your vehicle than a connected load -- which is easier on your vehicle's transmission and gentler on your spine.

Our trailer-lights wiring system is the BMW OEM harness and BMW controller. It is designed to integrate directly with the vehicle's sophisticated electronics. The tow harness plugs into factory connectors and communicates with the vehicle's on-board computer and monitoring systems. This enables such advanced features as:

automatic disabling of rear park sensors while trailer is attached;

dash indicators of malfunctioning trailer lights;

intervention with braking in the event of repetitive trailer sway; and

rear-camera enhanced mode for backing up to trailers without an assistant.

Please note that the BMW OEM harness must be activated by reprogramming the vehicle after the harness is installed. The reprogramming service (via the internet) is included with our hitch.

I hope the above information is helpful. Should you have any questions, feel free to jot us a follow-up email. Or to place your order, please give us a call at (678) 400-0121, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Eastern.

My local BMW Dealer quoted $735 for installation. I have attached detailed instructions that were sent to me by Invisihitch.

Thanks
Appreciate 2