Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
2017 x5 50i with 73k on the odometer
- installed ngk 97506 gapped to .02 (is this too narrow)?
- installed catless downpipes
- installed x5m air filters
- flashed bootmod3 stage 2 93octane tune

I am seeing some superknocking on cylinder 1,4,5 on a wide open throttle pull. Going to flash back to stock and re-test. For some reason the datalog isn't running within bootmod3 on my laptop, waiting for their support reply and looking for other suggestions.
Try to catch it on a datalog, open a support ticket with PTF and upload the logs. They are pretty good at reading the logs and diagnosing the issue and/or tweaking the tune for your vehicle.

I don't have any direct experience with your issue, but it could be the gas. Even gas from high quality stations is sometimes not the best with it comes to overall octane. Additionally, the BM3 93 octane maps may be a bit too aggressive. I'm running Shell V-Power 93 exclusively and even I had some timing reduction on the Stage 1 91 map. I can't imagine how much reduction I'd have on the 93 map. PTF was able to tweak the OTS map for me to make it run better.

After you flash to stock and verify no problems, try flashing Stage 2 91 octane and see if you have the same problem. You could also try running the fuel tank a bit low and putting in a splash of race gas (if you can find it) to increase overall octane. It's not a long term solution, but it may tell you pretty quickly if you have an octane problem (or if the tune is too aggressive for your engine/mods).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Notice I have some knocks on hwy at 8th gear at around 2500rpm accelerating moderately (normal hwy driving type, not WOT). I first noticed it was during rain when trying to accelerate to pas cars in front of me so I thought it was traction control kicking in but it also happens when road is dry so it's not traction issue. No problem when I do WOT and kick down. The engine rev smoothly all the way to redline at lower gear. No trouble at 6th gear doing similar mild acceleration at 2500rpm.

Mods:
BM3 stage 1
X5M filter replaced less than 1000 miles ago
Oil changed less than 1000 miles ago
Spark plugs changed 28k miles ago

Car is at 69k miles

Thinking to switch back to stock tune to see if this issue remains but it always takes 5-7 tries each time to switch.....

Never had this happened before. Any idea/suggestion what cause this? Thank you!
Same with you: send a log to PTF. But, believe it or not, it could be plugs. 28k on this motor with a tune is quite a bit. Pull a plug out and have a look/check the gap.