View Single Post
      07-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
wtF85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Really fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Is this similar to dropping a pin or is there more to it? What exactly are they trying to accomplish with this feature?
The IFTTT (If This Then That) compatible BMW Labs IFTTT widget enables your BMW to trigger actions within internet connected services and applications.

When my BMW X5M enters a large radius geo-fence around my house, my BMW sends a message to my house thermostat to cool my house in advance so my house is cool when I arrive, which is not always the same time of day.

When my BMW enters a much smaller geo-fence radius around my house:
- my BMW tells my garage door to open,
- tells the deadbolt to the house door to unlock,
- tells my house alarm system to disarm,
- turns on my house music sound system,
- then it triggers an automated SMS/text message to my wife to say I am at home now,
- and if after "sunset", my BMW tells certain "smart" lights in my house entry-way/mudroom to turn on,

...all right before I pull into my garage and step out of my BMW.

(When I leave the house, my BMW triggers something similar to happen in reverse.)

When I arrive into the house, I can then ask "Alexa" (Amazon Echo) to "close the garage door" for me, and if I forget to, the garage door will close itself at 9:00PM, ask Alexa to "dim the lights to 60%", "place my Domino's Easy Order" delivered pizza", and "Alexa, ask StubHub what’s happening this weekend"

I am very impressed that BMW is being so "cutting/bleeding" edge with their BMW Labs IFTTT Widget and amazed at how well my BMW now integrates into an overall "Life Automation" scheme/design.
Appreciate 0