11-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #784
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGAHPBMW View Post
Do you have a lot of drone when cruising? I did a muffler delete on my 50i and shop removed the resonators when installing the x pipe. It’s silly loud and I have a lot of drone so am thinking of going back to at least welding the resonators back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW50i View Post
Yeah some drone but it's not unbearable. I feel like the x-pipe removed the raspiness of the exhaust and gave it more of an airy tin sound. It's like you can hear air getting trapped in the stainless steel
I still have my resonators, also installed some generic straight through resonators/mufflers in place of old muffler. I do get some drone at certain rpms, but that small amount of drone really doesn't bother me.

I don't feel I have any "airy tin sound" at all. System is fairly quiet at normal driving, but definitely deep rumble when stepping on it.

I'm guessing the quality of the X-pipe has some to do with how it sounds too. Some X-pipes are cheaply made, not smooth flowing, and I'm wondering how that affects the sound? Also going to a smaller pipe just before the X using 2.5" instead of matching the stock 2.75" diameter, causes turbulence inside the X, not a smooth flow.

I'm by no means an exhaust expert, but anytime you create restrictions in flow, be it sudden change to smaller or larger diameter pipe or obstructions in the flow, it will affect the speed of the exhaust, and thus can affect the sound.
Appreciate 0