View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #61
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Sorry for the long post, but my hypothesis is that old battery was causing the low washer fluid warning after filling it to the top. Here are the details:

So a couple weeks ago I got the dash warning for low washer fluid, when I got home I already had 1 gallon of BMW washer fluid mixed to ~12.5% VOC sitting around. I've only used BMW washer fluid in this vehicle. I ended up pouring the entire gallon in. The next day I drove the car and it still kept giving me the warning even after 40 mile roundtrip of driving. When I got home I checked around the garage, but didn't see any leaks. I went ahead and mixed some more washer fluid and added about 2 quarts until it was at the top of the filler. Drove some more and kept getting the low fluid warning. I proceeded to run an ISTA+ diagnostic. Only code I got was for bad battery, which had been a recurring code I was already aware of. Car is 2014 and appears to be original, but I usually put it on CTEK charger at least once a month and never had any issues or other codes so I kept putting it off. I decided to charge the car overnight. Next day did not get any warnings, day after I only got warning when starting the car first thing in the morning, all subsequent trips the rest of the day did not have any warnings. This proceeded for several days. I finally charged it again overnight and the next morning I tested the battery and when fully charged only measured 490 CCA. I only have 1 battery in my X5 and its the 105ah 950 CCA. I went ahead and picked up a new battery for $180 at local dealer, installed it and registered the battery change using ISTA+. Since the battery change, have not had the warning come back. So for others having this issue, maybe check the health of your car battery.
Appreciate 0