06-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #36
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxredna View Post
Buddy, I own race cars and I drive in the R8 GT4 cup series and Blancpain GT.

I know that it is not anywhere close to the street car but a M8 GTE or GT3 class requires at lease 30-40% parts sharing, including engine block, basic aero dynamics, coefficient of drag, etc.

So if you start your design with a big touring car, it will never be as competitive - but regardless - even if it was competitive - it beckons the question whether a 8-series owner or buyer would appreciate racing pedigree of the car? I highly doubt so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You two need to do some more research on the M8GTE. Go back and read post #11 if you need some clarification. This car is NOT the same as the regular 8 series, they built the 8 off the race car, not the race car off the 8.
A big touring car is generally never a good start to create a good racing car. With your experience, you should also know that GT4, GT3, etc and the different Series all have BoP to account for the fact that some cars are inherently going to be quicker than others and to bring them back to a level playing field. In that sense, you could potentially field whatever car your heart desired as long as it met the regulations and technical requirements. We are not drag racing stock cars out on the street for bragging rights.

Look at IMSA last year. The Corvette was pretty much the slowest car in the GTLM field due to BoP etc almost all season but still won the championship. The M6 GTLM is nowhere near the car the Corvette is, but was quicker for most of the season, again, due to BoP adjustments.

The M4 already runs in GT4 form all over the world and is the perfect playground for it. Not sure what else BMW could use to run in the upper echelons of racing besides the M6 and the M8, unless they decide to build a completely different car, and I highly doubt the bean counters will allow that to happen.
Appreciate 1