View Single Post
      01-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
hinton
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M f85/ e46 M3 zcp/ e90 330i

TRANSMISSION REPLACED under warrant, X5M F85 2015 highly likely transmission failure!

for three weeks i have been having very harsh shifting (downshift) from 3-2 in automatic mode, sport mode, coasting, braking etc.

went out with bmw master tech, he said it sounds mechanical related, booked for the 22nd of this month, more to follow. he did say this does not sound like a software or relearn issue, nor does it sound like a transfer case issue with softer winter tires, he said it is shifting "harsh" and that it is not normal at all.

2015, 2nd owner, have had it for about 36000km, got it with 30k on it. just fyi. i do not drive this vehicle hard at all, i have done zero launch control on it since i own it.

this truck, with the many issues i have had, has been the worst bimmer in my fleet as of now.

harsh downshifting from 3-2, seems to slam and not rev match road and engine speed.

more to come.

UPDATE: in for service PUMA case open yesterday will see where this goes

UPDATE 2: how i replicated the problem:

find a low slope upwards, like a 3% grade hill, put it in automatic, drive at constant speed with your tranny in setting "2" (not in gear 2 but transmission setting/profile aggressiveness 2 where you have two bars on the dash under the tranny speed gear) , keep accelerating till you get to 3rd gear then back off a bit, keep climbing the hill as you slow down, do not take your foot off the accelerator, eventually it will shift down from 3 to 2 as your foot is still on the accelerator (no coasting) , that is where to slam forward, coffee flying happens, it sounds like a mechanical jolt either at the back end of the motor or in the tranny itself under the console.

as well on highway, driving at a speed where your car can shift from 6 to 7th gear, you will feel a shudder, judder on the rear driveline as it goes from 6 to 7

as me questions if you are not sure, cause it could be serious mechanical issue. i will answer as much as i can. i don't really check pm so just ask.

LAST UPDATE: transmission arrived from germany, had it replaced this week, picking up later tonight., whole new transmission and torque converter etc. All under warranty.

UPDATE 2020, JUNE 11 2020: So based on the info that i had, which is the harsh shift downwards from gear 3 to 2 and the slight slip in gear 6 to 7 upwards, if you have these issues with your x5m f85 your tranny is going to fail. ave it looked at. islandman's recount is exactly as mine and i had another member message me the exact same scenario looking for suggestion. Basically three people with the exact same symptoms. I am actually trying to see if any of us were doing repeated launch controls on it. I am currently at 100,000km on the truck and probably put about 19,000km on the new tranny from feb 2019.
E70 3.5i M sport 2013
other german toys.

Last edited by hinton; 06-21-2020 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: transmission was replaced finally under warranty
Appreciate 0