tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Hi tony

The boss asked me to wait as we are in the process of a large land purchase which is the smart thing for now. But to answer your question on the one I will choose, it will be the omega. I guess there's just something about it that looks good. But the brietling is just as nice.
Well, I can't argue the merits of a watch over land. LOL. Good choice.

They are both nice. It's interesting that you just think the looks of the Omega are more appealing. It's interesting inasmuch as much as folks, "watchies," want to go on and on about this and that feature, construction method, embellishment, etc. making a watch better, the truth is that 85% of the time, no watch is appreciably better at being a watch and doing "watch things" than most any other watch.

I think watches are at a point now whereby the functional capabilities of damn near all of them from about $300+ is effectively the same. (no, not the grand complication watches, but that's not the realm of watches we are discussing) I say that based on my observations of some of the super cheap Chinese watches I've come across from China. I'm talking about the ones that some dude in the subway station sells out of a paper bag for $10 and that is 100% a fake [insert your favorite pricey brand]. For basic timekeeping/chrono functions, as best as I can tell from my peers who have had some of them for 5+ years now, they do as well as anything I've paid thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars for. Plus being so inexpensive, they don't bother with servicing it. If it dies, well, it just does, and that's that.

With direct exposure to that sort of thing, it really doesn't matter how I feel about the matter of fakes, legit knock-offs and whatnot. The facts I've observed make it clear that there just isn't a need to spend a lot to get a very solid, reliably functioning, basic watch (time only, time + date, or chronograph). As a result, for folks who aren't specifically watch collecting, in the curatorial sense, with a horological purpose, it just makes sense to pick something one likes because it looks good. Fortunately, good looks and price have no direct relationship, even though decorative details and price do.

The Omega you'll eventually buy will be a watch thatI know you'll enjoy. One thing that may be helpful to you, seeing as you are going to wait anyway, is to occasionally peruse the offerings of brands you've not heard of, particularly if you are committed to a dive watch. Damn near every company makes a dive watch of some sort and there's almost no such thing as an poor quality dive watch, regardless of the price point.

I think you'll find that there are lost of nice looking ones at very sane prices -- ~$500 or so, more or less -- that because they aren't very pricey at all you may just want to give one a whirl. Should you do so, what you will find is that those watches won't give you the "ooh ahh factor" that comes from your friends knowing what brand of watch you bought, and by extension how much you spent on it. What you will get is an understanding that you can pretty well buy any watch and get what you want, and if you do decide you really want to collect watches and/or that you just like having lots of them, much as you may like to have lots of shirts or ties, you'll see that you can do just that and get many a cool one for your own enjoyment and not break the bank in the process.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0