BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

This ONE issue... need your help!

I have been having this one issue for a while. When accelerating (3/4 to full throttle), the car shakes violently and DING! --- drivetrain malfunction. Then, at idle, the car shakes very rough. If I turn off the engine for about 20 minutes, the warning goes away and the car is fine. As long I don't floor it, the car is fine.

Went to the dealer 3 times for this: replaced all spark plugs, mass air flow sensor, etc... and the issue keeps coming back! So I went to an independent mechanic. He test drove it and got these results. The X5 had 20 miles worth of gas left and he pointed that out. "Don't drive the car when it's running below quarter tank!" he says. He says that COULD be one of the contributing factors, since there's a pump inside the tank and having plenty of fuel is important (I don't remember the exact explanation, but something along the lines of that).

So I filled up the tank and floored it, and the problem reappeared. Other than this, nothing wrong with the X5, which I am thankful. But it's this ONE issue that keeps coming back. Anyone know why this happens? I'm all ears here.

Thanks.
Attached Images

09-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Lets assess and eliminate the probability of this misfire and correlate what you've done.

ISTA/D says to eliminate the following
Air supply
Ignition
Fuel Supply
Electrical
Mechanical

-Air supply, which you've already addressed with new maf, and no other codes are indicating this issue it can be R/O, however check the air filter and replace as needed and inspect any intake hoses for leaks.

-Ignition, you've already replaced the plugs but no avail, perhaps check the coil packs? If you're handy you could switch around the Coil packs to see if the cylinder misfire follows the coil pack, But you need to find out of cylinder 3 and 6 is are always misfiring when you floor (as noted in fault code multiple misfire) it which means you need a code reader perhaps an OBD II reader should suffice.

-Fuel Supply, now it did say fuel injector cut off on 3 and 6 but its performing that under misfire circumstance (ie Engine Malfunction Light) to protect the engine, however it should be taken consideration if the Ignition coils are not the culprit, and if cylinder 3 and 6 keeps misfiring and shutting off the injectors, a more comprehensive diagnostic is needed for that case.

-Electrical its safe to say its not electric since there aren't any other codes indicating it however it should be taken in consideration if the preceding does not rectify

-Mechanical, very unlikely since the engine performs normally, as per stated and no codes indicating it.

Keep us updated

Last edited by Mr.47; 09-15-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
kanvas644.00
Mkenya0.00
      09-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

When you say the issue keeps coming back, you mean it ran good for a little after plugs changed? Etc
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

+1 for coils

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

Can you log fuel pressure? Sounds similar to how my n54 motor acted when the hpfp was going. When I logged it you can see the drop in pressure from 800-900 to below 100 when in the upper rev range. That's when things go bad and the motor protects itself. So worth a shot.
Appreciate 1
kanvas644.00
      09-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
I have been having this one issue for a while. When accelerating (3/4 to full throttle), the car shakes violently and DING! --- drivetrain malfunction. Then, at idle, the car shakes very rough. If I turn off the engine for about 20 minutes, the warning goes away and the car is fine. As long I don't floor it, the car is fine.

Went to the dealer 3 times for this: replaced all spark plugs, mass air flow sensor, etc... and the issue keeps coming back! So I went to an independent mechanic. He test drove it and got these results. The X5 had 20 miles worth of gas left and he pointed that out. "Don't drive the car when it's running below quarter tank!" he says. He says that COULD be one of the contributing factors, since there's a pump inside the tank and having plenty of fuel is important (I don't remember the exact explanation, but something along the lines of that).

So I filled up the tank and floored it, and the problem reappeared. Other than this, nothing wrong with the X5, which I am thankful. But it's this ONE issue that keeps coming back. Anyone know why this happens? I'm all ears here.

Thanks.
What you are describing sounds like a bad coil to me. Get them swapped. At $25 what do you have to lose?

The other possibility is bad fuel injector. Highly doubt it’s fuel pump as you are only showing issue with one cylinder. If it was fuel pump, I assume it would cause other cylinders to misbehave.
Appreciate 1
kanvas644.00
      09-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

had similar issues on my 335is with n54 engine. for a few months driving it hard would cause the car to stutter at high rpms and trip warnings, and then a bad idle, but restarting the engine and driving normally seems to clear up the errors/stuttering problem. didnt look into it for quite some time and one day the car would not idle anymore, it would crank, fires and dies. turns out 3 of the 6 injectors were bad, and of course happened 1 month after warranty expired.
kanvas644.00
duercos201.00
      09-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Had the same exact problem with my old 03 325i. You could ease into it and it would be fine, but if you floored it it would stall and stop and shake and all the cluster lights would flash. I don’t remember what or if I ever found the problem.
Appreciate 1
kanvas644.00
      09-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Had the same exact problem with my old 03 325i. You could ease into it and it would be fine, but if you floored it it would stall and stop and shake and all the cluster lights would flash. I don’t remember what or if I ever found the problem.
Did you burn it?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Lets assess and eliminate the probability of this misfire and correlate what you've done.

ISTA/D says to eliminate the following
Air supply
Ignition
Fuel Supply
Electrical
Mechanical

-Air supply, which you've already addressed with new maf, and no other codes are indicating this issue it can be R/O, however check the air filter and replace as needed and inspect any intake hoses for leaks.

-Ignition, you've already replaced the plugs but no avail, perhaps check the coil packs? If you're handy you could switch around the Coil packs to see if the cylinder misfire follows the coil pack, But you need to find out of cylinder 3 and 6 is are always misfiring when you floor (as noted in fault code multiple misfire) it which means you need a code reader perhaps an OBD II reader should suffice.

-Fuel Supply, now it did say fuel injector cut off on 3 and 6 but its performing that under misfire circumstance (ie Engine Malfunction Light) to protect the engine, however it should be taken consideration if the Ignition coils are not the culprit, and if cylinder 3 and 6 keeps misfiring and shutting off the injectors, a more comprehensive diagnostic is needed for that case.

-Electrical its safe to say its not electric since there aren't any other codes indicating it however it should be taken in consideration if the preceding does not rectify

-Mechanical, very unlikely since the engine performs normally, as per stated and no codes indicating it.

Keep us updated
Super appreciate the comprehensive post! Maybe not fuel supply related either, since I filled the tank up and test drove it and the issue came back. The mechanic cleared all error codes and engine light. Gut feelings say coils. Should get a diagnostic test with the independent mechanic.
      09-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #11
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
When you say the issue keeps coming back, you mean it ran good for a little after plugs changed? Etc
Correct. When dealer changed all spark plugs, it was smooth for a few days, but that was it: only a few days. I'm surprised that after three visits, they were still unable to diagnose the problem.
      09-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #12
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
Can you log fuel pressure? Sounds similar to how my n54 motor acted when the hpfp was going. When I logged it you can see the drop in pressure from 800-900 to below 100 when in the upper rev range. That's when things go bad and the motor protects itself. So worth a shot.
How do you "log" fuel pressure. Do I need equipment to do that?
      09-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #13
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
had similar issues on my 335is with n54 engine. for a few months driving it hard would cause the car to stutter at high rpms and trip warnings, and then a bad idle, but restarting the engine and driving normally seems to clear up the errors/stuttering problem. didnt look into it for quite some time and one day the car would not idle anymore, it would crank, fires and dies. turns out 3 of the 6 injectors were bad, and of course happened 1 month after warranty expired.
I'm out of warranty too, but I'd rather have this diagnosed with a trustworthy independent mechanic rather than the dealership. They just can't get to the root of the problem right away. Should look into injectors..
      09-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
That's exactly the issue! This is starting to sound a more common issue than I thought it'd be.
      09-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #15
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I had the same problem and the same codes. I changed my plugs first and that didn't rectify the issue. I changed the coils next and... voila, no more problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

It's fairly easy to move coils, see if the error follows the move. If it does, then that's the issue. The shop should have known that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Did you burn it?
Haha it was 10 years old and paid off. Windows didn’t go up or down, interior trim was always falling off, trans starting doing something weird. Sold the car for $1000 lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #18
V8LIFE
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

How many miles on your car? When your car has misfire, it's always a good idea to change plugs and coils together.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8LIFE View Post
How many miles on your car? When your car has misfire, it's always a good idea to change plugs and coils together.
I have 41,000 miles now. The problem started a while ago, progressively getting worse until now. Taking it to the indy mechanic today!
      09-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #20
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep

Ignition coils #3 and #6 replaced. Drives much better but there's minor shaking when accelerating. I think now that the bad coils were replaced, the computer is detecting other coils that are starting to go bad.

Would it be best to replace all coils at this point?
      09-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Ignition coils #3 and #6 replaced. Drives much better but there's minor shaking when accelerating. I think now that the bad coils were replaced, the computer is detecting other coils that are starting to go bad.

Would it be best to replace all coils at this point?
Just do all coils and plugs (if you haven't already). At least you will start from a clean slate on that end. Also, run some injector cleaner (something like chevron techron). Sometimes bad injectors can cause hesitation.

Sometimes a coil might go bad, but not be in such a bad shape to throw a code. However, it can cause slight misfire. You will mostly feel this under heavy load at low RPM. Coils are not traditionally considered a maintenance item, but in your case, what do you have to lose?

Also, if you change out plugs, make sure they are gaped properly. If you get wrong plugs, or if they don't have right gap, they can cause poor performance and misfire.

GL
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #22
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Inspect the old plugs for fouling.
Appreciate 0