BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
seanab
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 xdrive35i

Trailering Capacity / Limits - x6 xdrivex35i

HI

I know that the stated towing limit on this vehicle is 6000lbs with a 600lbs tongue weight, however, i have read that if one is towing a trailer that is not equipped with brakes then the towing capacity is limited to 1653lbs (750kg). Unfortunately i can not find anything solid from the factory to confirm or deny this.
Essentially my boats is ~3000 lbs with trailer and I'm hoping that it can be towed with the vehicle, however, would prefer not to wind up with a boat in the back seat.

Does anyone have any info on this subject?

thanks in advance

Last edited by seanab; 09-16-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

You should get a trailer with brakes. 3000 lbs is too heavy to not have trailer brakes. Just buy a wireless brake controller and hookup will not take any longer once you have that setup. Don't risk your safety by trying to save a few bucks.
Appreciate 1
MrTookies454.00
      09-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
seanab
Registered
Rep

thanks, and i appreciate the immediate assumption that im a cheap ass and the stating of the obvious.

Do you have any answers to my questions?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Does any of you guys tow a car that is 3500lbs? I have an M3 and looking to get a SUV for my wife. Looking at slightly used X5 but want to tow my M3 sometimes
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
seanab
Registered
Rep

the X5 and 6 will definitely tow that much
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanab View Post
HI

I know that the stated towing limit on this vehicle is 6000lbs with a 600lbs tongue weight, however, i have read that if one is towing a trailer that is not equipped with brakes then the towing capacity is limited to 1653lbs (750kg). Unfortunately i can not find anything solid from the factory to confirm or deny this.
Essentially my boats is ~3000 lbs with trailer and I'm hoping that it can be towed with the vehicle, however, would prefer not to wind up with a boat in the back seat.

Does anyone have any info on this subject?

thanks in advance
I don't have the 35i but the 35d... Whenever I did my research I remember that there was not a firm number but rather a recommendation for towing over 2000lbs to have a break system on the trailer. Now this was for the diesel but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a higher number for the gas version...
The pulling and the tow system was not the problem just that the break system on our cars are not made for that.

I bought a plug and play remote controlled break controller... and was happy that I did. I assume your trailer has breaks? If your interested I can find out what the brand is... don't remember as I hardly ever use it anymore these days...

You might also want to do a search in the forum there are tons of towing threads...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanab View Post
thanks, and i appreciate the immediate assumption that im a cheap ass and the stating of the obvious.

Do you have any answers to my questions?
I gave you my opinion. I have towed an open aluminum car trailer with two X5s with loads ranging from 1,000 lbs up to about 4,500 lbs. Based on my experience I would not advise towing 3,000 lbs without trailer brakes. I would venture to guess that most people with experience towing would say the same thing. Sorry I don't have data or an authoritative source to sight at my fingertips, but I thought you would appreciate hearing an opinion.

Feel free to ignore the advice and see what happens. I think you will find that your brakes on the X5 will be inadequate. At best your X5 brakes will wear quickly. More worrying to me would be scary trailer sway or an accident if you need to stop quickly or you are in windy conditions or driving downhill. The trailer brakes are there to help pull the trailer taught when it starts to sway. Using only the brakes on the tow vehicle does not have the same effect.

With respect to my comment about the cost of a brake controller, I threw that in because I thought it might be a factor for you. I could not think of any other reason not to have trailer brakes.

Just trying to help here. You might consider showing a bit more appreciation.
Appreciate 0