BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
droidguuuuy1
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

New X5 40e - LOTS of Glitches/Gremlins

I have already created a thread asking a bunch of questions but i wanted to make a separate one with just these issues i am having so its not a cluster.

I am starting to get a little concerned with all the glitches and gremlins I am seeing, I am going to try to call BMW monday and see if they can check the car and maybe it needs a software update or something.

1) Lane Departure Warning randomly just turns itself off. I notice randomly i am on the highway and its not vibrating the wheel when i am drifting even though there are clear lines on both sides. The safety system light is green, i hit the button and it says lane departure warning is OFF. I turn it on manually and it starts working for a while.... until it stops againd and i have to repeat the process.

2) Forward colision hasnt worked since the first day i had the car..... the very first day i got an alert when i was too close/approaching too fast a car in front. since then it hasnt done it at all even when i purposely (piss people off probably lol) get too close too fast to test it and it just does nothing.

3) Seat belt warning randomly will just stop alerting when i am not wearing it driving. this only happened twice but it seems not right.

4) I have to hit the button twice to life the trunk. both on the remote and the back button. i hit the button once, it pops the trunk only. i hit it again and it lifts all the way. my friend with an x5 says his doesnt require 2 presses.

5) battery life is HORRIBLE. it says estimated 15 miles after i charge it, the battery is dead in less than 3 miles. i do have the heat set to 65F but i pre-condition with it plugged in. i didnt expect a huge amount of miles but less than 3?

Should i be concerned? Are these known glitches that maybe can be fixed with a software update (why didnt they do it before they delivered?)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

What year is your 40E?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
No offence but I wouldn't touch this car with a 10 foot pole. BMW is not known for their hybrid cars.

I hope you get these things resolved.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I experience #4 as well on my 2018 (35i); push button once and back opens a few inches, second push of button to lift it fully; however, on the rare occasion, one press and it opens fully. A bit odd, yes, but haven’t yet tried to diagnose or troubleshoot. I recall other posts from members commenting on the fickle nature of the tailgate.

Generally speaking, the various driving systems might be a bit fickle too. Regarding lane assist, mine becomes active once I reach 40 mph, and is indicated by the appearance of two arrows pointing inward between the vertical lines on the instrument cluster (lousy description, I know!). Now, if the sensors can’t pick-up the lane markings, the arrows may not appear. For example, part of my drive is in a rural area, and the sensors can only pick up one lane marking - as indicated by only one arrow appearing. Again, while my description may be a bit lacking, want to convey that it may be less of an issue with your Lane Departure Warning, and instead more of an issue with road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

#4 - there is a seal that gets sticky sometimes. I had this issue and waxed the section of the tailgate where the seal of the trunk lid mates with the lower tailgate.

#5 - sounds like you don’t have a 240V charger. If you are plugging into a standard 120V wall outlet, it doesn’t provide enough power to preheat and charge the car at the same time. In other words, you are likely using all of your battery to preheat the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
What year is your 40E?
It's a 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
No offence but I wouldn't touch this car with a 10 foot pole. BMW is not known for their hybrid cars.

I hope you get these things resolved.
That ship has kind of sailed. Its mine for the next 3 years unless these things turn into some kind of lemon law thing.

The good news is, its their problem after 3 years and it will be under full warranty the entire time i own it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I experience #4 as well on my 2018 (35i); push button once and back opens a few inches, second push of button to lift it fully; however, on the rare occasion, one press and it opens fully. A bit odd, yes, but haven’t yet tried to diagnose or troubleshoot. I recall other posts from members commenting on the fickle nature of the tailgate.

Generally speaking, the various driving systems might be a bit fickle too. Regarding lane assist, mine becomes active once I reach 40 mph, and is indicated by the appearance of two arrows pointing inward between the vertical lines on the instrument cluster (lousy description, I know!). Now, if the sensors can’t pick-up the lane markings, the arrows may not appear. For example, part of my drive is in a rural area, and the sensors can only pick up one lane marking - as indicated by only one arrow appearing. Again, while my description may be a bit lacking, want to convey that it may be less of an issue with your Lane Departure Warning, and instead more of an issue with road conditions.

I understand what you mean exactly. Those arrows indicate if its detecting the lane markings. My situation is not that though, the issue I am having is there are clear lane markings, i am doing over 40mph and i go into the safety system menu and its just unchecked (disabled). I turn it on and it then it randomly turns back off either in a few minutes or maybe the next day.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
#4 - there is a seal that gets sticky sometimes. I had this issue and waxed the section of the tailgate where the seal of the trunk lid mates with the lower tailgate.

#5 - sounds like you don’t have a 240V charger. If you are plugging into a standard 120V wall outlet, it doesn’t provide enough power to preheat and charge the car at the same time. In other words, you are likely using all of your battery to preheat the car.
Yes that is true, its a 120v charger. However, I typically still have full bars when leaving (at worst i have seen 1 bar missing). I believe there are 5 bars. So I am leaving with between 80-90% battery and its still dying in 3 miles. Then again i have the heat on and sometimes heated wheel and seats so i guess running those options takes A LOT of battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidguuuuy1 View Post
I understand what you mean exactly. Those arrows indicate if its detecting the lane markings. My situation is not that though, the issue I am having is there are clear lane markings, i am doing over 40mph and i go into the safety system menu and its just unchecked (disabled). I turn it on and it then it randomly turns back off either in a few minutes or maybe the next day.
When you start you car, is the light in the circle (indicating status of driving aids), green or orange? Because once all are active (color = green), you shouldn’t have to touch the button again unless to turn one, or more off.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
When you start you car, is the light in the circle (indicating status of driving aids), green or orange? Because once all are active (color = green), you shouldn’t have to touch the button again unless to turn one, or more off.
Yes, that's the odd thing. Its green always, even when the lane departure is turned off (and collision warning is not working even though its turned on).

The button is green, i hit it, and the lane departure is disabled. what is interesting is if i leave the menu without turning it back on, the button turns orange.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
mgbabe
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive Gran Turismo

Garage List
Our experience with our 40e isn’t anything like yours although we have had our share of problems:
1) right hand hvac valve stuck open letting HOT engine into passenger compartment- diagnosed ourselves since it didn’t happen when running purely on electric
2) all four Pirellis had weather cracking with rears having one cut and one nail - all four replaced, we payed for one front
3) rear drivers side bumper reflector broken when dealer removed bumper to install hitch - replaced free by dealer
4) now it’s at dealer to fix right hand forward sunroof drain not draining

Have not had bad electric only mileage except when towing boat but that’s understandable. You should have the electric system checked out since it shouldn’t be that bad.
Appreciate 0