BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2024, 09:53 AM   #1
NYNICX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Eccentric shaft

So last week I was driving & my nav screen popped up with a warning message “drivetrain malfunction. Drive moderately. Schedule service.” With a tile to schedule service now.

but let me first back up. Just prior to this happening I was out running an errand. I got out of my truck and the alarm was going off. I thought maybe I accidentally hit the panic button on the fob. Turns out I did not, but it kept going off and nothing I would do, would silence the alarm. I had to get back into the truck to start it to then turn off the alarm while it was running..after four tries it finally stopped. Yes, this is me getting out of the truck locking it and it going off again. When I got out of the store, luckily the alarm wasn’t going off, but when I grabbed the handle to open it & again the alarm goes off… so there I am in the parking lot cursing my truck out bc it’s embarrassing & annoying AF… anyone else have an alarm that’s acted up like that?

So as I drive away, was only going like 35 mph - is when I got the warning on the nav screen. I did notice that after leaving a red light the RPM’s were running way too high for just accelerating to leave a red light…

I drove straight to the dealership and they took the car immediately. This was last Tuesday. On Wednesday (05/01) I got a phone call that the eccentric shaft failed - not the sensor but the actual shaft itself. Luckily, it is covered under the emissions warranty, but is a majorly involved job. The part was supposed to come in last Thursday. I still don’t have my car, but luckily they gave me a loaner.

My question to all of you - is this normal for an eccentric shaft to fail? My car only has slightly under 42K miles. (2018 X5 w/ M sport package / executive package etc) & what exactly does this repair entail? I’m a bit nervous if they’re tweaking around the engine etc…

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:52 AM   #2
tavyx
Rep
Drives: e92 lots of issues :)

In my vehicle the Eccentric shaft acctuator failed at only 45,000 kms. Now my vehicle was not driven for 2 years only started up at idle once in while but still.....
Dealership had it right on the shelf behind the counter that's how " popular" this part is.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
NYNICX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Picked up my truck yesterday. Cost me $0.00 - shockingly. I was told it was covered under the emissions warranty (7yrs/70K miles) meaning I just slid in under that timeframe.. but was convinced there’d be a charge for something else that they’d find.

All in all, it’s done. Was told if it was out of warranty it would cost me between $6,000 to $8,000

Eccentric motor (I think that’s what it was called) died which caused the shaft to fail. Took about a week to repair, had fun with the (free) loaner (2024 330xi which only had 500 miles on it when I got it)

Feels like I dodged a bullet 😂
Appreciate 0