BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2024, 11:08 PM   #45
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Costco in your area doesn’t sell a 49/H8 battery? Just curious because I thought they sold that battery class size under the Duralast brand name.

And it sounds like your local BMW dealership’s parts dept lean toward the gouge side of things. As mentioned above, my local dealership’s parts department beat everyone in town for the larger H9/95R battery. I was out the door for $227 (after core charge return) back in Jan/2023. Did you speak directly to someone in the parts department or did you get a quote from the service department? Going through service usually will cost you more vs working with someone from the parts department. If you get the right person (that has some authority)…they can usually negotiate with a little wiggle room. Plus if you’re a BMW CCA member, you can get discount if they honor that relationship.

TIP: I didn’t go back through the thread to see if it was mentioned already…but if you’re getting an aftermarket battery….DO NOT throw the battery terminal covers away until you’ve checked them for knock-out vent hole plugs. (See last pic below with a knock-out plug circled in green)

Since the batteries are enclosed, you need to not only hook them up to the vent hole on the side that has the vehicles vent hose attached, you also need to plug the hole on the other side to prevent the battery from venting inside the enclosed battery compartment. Also, don’t thow away the little black connecting elbow when removing the old batteries. If the new ones don’t come with the connecting elbow…you’ll need to reuse them when you connect the vent tube to the new batteries.

If you are paying someone else to do it….make sure they know not to pitch the little black elbow away that’s attached to the gray vent tube…and also have them plug the vent hole on the other side of the battery with the additional plug that comes in the little baggy that should come with the battery. Again, if your aftermarket battery does NOT come with either….make sure you reuse the ones from the old battery.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-23-2024 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2024, 05:36 AM   #46
SunjaKim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Costco in your area doesn’t sell a 49/H8 battery? Just curious because I thought they sold that battery class size under the Duralast brand name.
I did not go into our local Costco, just used their website which links to Interstate Batteries, and the response was nothing available.
Quote:
And it sounds like your local BMW dealership’s parts dept lean toward the gouge side of things. As mentioned above, my local dealership’s parts department beat everyone in town for the larger H9/95R battery. I was out the door for $227 (after core charge return) back in Jan/2023. Did you speak directly to someone in the parts department or did you get a quote from the service department? Going through service usually will cost you more vs working with someone from the parts department. If you get the right person (that has some authority)…they can usually negotiate with a little wiggle room. Plus if you’re a BMW CCA member, you can get discount if they honor that relationship.
My preference was to go with BMW batteries in the hope that they would be as good as the ones that have lasted an unheard of 10 years, even at a higher price than the aftermarket ones, but not at the price I was quoted.

Yes, I spoke directly with the parts department, and no I'm not a BMW CCA member - did ask for discount and the response was "none".

Thanks for the tips - I have used the forum search and bookmarked a previous thread of yours.

I will be doing it myself, registering the main battery with Bimmerlink or Foxwell, then exchanging the old batteries for gift cards at Autozone.

Last edited by SunjaKim; 05-24-2024 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 10:13 AM   #47
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
My preference was to go with BMW batteries in the hope that they would be as good as the ones that have lasted an unheard of 10 years, even at a higher price than the aftermarket ones, but not at the price I was quoted.
From my experience, the BMW batteries sold from the dealer network are not the same quality as what is installed from the factory. I suspect this is due to ensure the batteries survive the "FREE" maintenance/warranty period.

I've been using aftermarket for some time now, and they too have suffered from shorter lifespans. I suspect this is from the recycling of led plates.

For the main battery, I've opted to go with auto-parts chains. Reason being, Auto-Zone Dura-last battery for example has a 3 year, no question replacement policy. They have stores in every small town across America and open until 9pm. They even sell tools. That appeals to my self rescue mentality.

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 05:13 PM   #48
SunjaKim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

New batteries delivered this morning and installed.

No damage - the batteries had a factory double carboard box and inside a Summit box with heavy duty air cushions.

Relatively easy install and when registering the new battery Bimmerlink confirmed it was the first battery replacement.
Attached Images

Last edited by SunjaKim; 05-24-2024 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:26 PM   #49
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

I would also look at Advance Auto batteries. For my old BMW, they were practically the only ones that matched the size and amp/hours. That old BMw battery lasted for almost 11 years, didn't really fail, but started to get weird warnings.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:43 PM   #50
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No damage - the batteries had a factory double carboard box and inside a Summit box with heavy duty air cushions.

Relatively easy install and when registering the new battery Bimmerlink confirmed it was the first battery replacement.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got everything installed and registered.

If I may, can I give you another “tip”? You can go into SETTINGS in the Bimmerlink app and change your distance setting to MILES…that way you won’t have to look at kilometers (unless that is what you want). . You can also reset any other unit of measure if what is displayed in the app is not what you prefer: SPEED/TEMP/PRESSURE/TORQUE/VOLUME/TIME
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 05:49 PM   #51
SunjaKim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipark View Post
I would also look at Advance Auto batteries. For my old BMW, they were practically the only ones that matched the size and amp/hours. That old BMw battery lasted for almost 11 years, didn't really fail, but started to get weird warnings.
There's many now that have both battery size.

Advance H8 is $255 +$22 core
Summit H8 is $185
Advance BCI LN1 $270 + $22 core
Summit BCI LN1 $155
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 06:07 PM   #52
SunjaKim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This novice welcomes all tips you have to offer @Qsilver7.

Looks much better and I also selected the auto connect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 06:25 PM   #53
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 11:01 PM   #54
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Don’t trust BimmerLink to know if the battery was ever changed. Said the same to me but it clearly had been based on the date stamped on the old battery. BMW was changing them every other oil change from factory. This was a week known secret bmw didn’t want to share with anyone. If I recall some deslers weren’t even telling customers.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 04:09 AM   #55
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Don’t trust BimmerLink to know if the battery was ever changed. Said the same to me but it clearly had been based on the date stamped on the old battery.
Do you have any proof that the battery you’re referring to was REGISTERED when installed? It’s more likely that the battery replacement was never registered vs the Bimmerlink app not displaying the change based on the date stamp on the battery.

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2024, 05:09 AM   #56
SunjaKim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Don’t trust BimmerLink to know if the battery was ever changed. Said the same to me but it clearly had been based on the date stamped on the old battery. BMW was changing them every other oil change from factory. This was a week known secret bmw didn’t want to share with anyone. If I recall some deslers weren’t even telling customers.
In my case I'm 100% confident that my 2015's batteries were never changed and Bimmerlink was accurate - see previously posted photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0