BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #23
Dr. G7
Rep
Drives: Non BMW, but looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
No issues here at all with my 2015 X6 50i N63TU... Of course you can find horror stories on every make and model out there.. But if your worried.... I think your in a good spot as the 2016+ 50i has the N63TU2.
After a twenty year hiatus, I'm looking at getting an X5. From what I have read 2016-2018 Third generation (F15, F85; 2014–2018) is rock solid. Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #24
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
The N63TU (the 'TU' stands for 'Technical Update') that's in our F15/16 50i's resolved a lot of the issues of the preceding N63. I don't see many posts here about major issues. Many of us run tunes of one sort or another, which would quickly reveal any major mechanical flaw.

All that is purely anecdotal, of course. I don't have any hard data. I know that mine has been completely without malfunction of any kind. Doesn't burn any oil and will run away and hide from almost anything else out on the road on a given day.
THANK YOU for this post. It was very helpful and re-assuring for someone who about to take delivery of a 50i.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #25
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
I just turned 100k in my 50i. I just did plugs and coils (~$200) and I had to replace the PCV tubes. I replaced one with an eBay knock off ($50) and used heater hose and clamps to replace the larger PCV tube (BMW replacement is ~$350, no knock off available). I change my oil around every 5-6k miles (bc it makes me feel good) and I always use an OEM filter and Rotella T6 oil (I use less than a quart of oil between changes). Other than that, I've had no issues. Vehicle is tuned a BM3 Stage 1 flash stacked with JB4 @ 21.5lbs. Runs 11.7 in the 1/4.

Engine aside, I'm also gearing up for the following: transmission mount (have a low RPM vibration that I believe is being caused by this), front and rear diff fluids, tcase fluid, transmission fluid and filter, front control arms. Just need to find the time to do it all.

That's been my experience at least...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
No problems here either on either 2015 x5 50i or 2016 x6 50i after 1+ year of ownership. The x6 does seem to drink more oil than my wifes x5 but after 3000 miles which IMO is pretty good. $16 every 3000 miles to top off with 2qt of oil is a small price to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
The N63TU (the 'TU' stands for 'Technical Update') that's in our F15/16 50i's resolved a lot of the issues of the preceding N63. I don't see many posts here about major issues. Many of us run tunes of one sort or another, which would quickly reveal any major mechanical flaw.

All that is purely anecdotal, of course. I don't have any hard data. I know that mine has been completely without malfunction of any kind. Doesn't burn any oil and will run away and hide from almost anything else out on the road on a given day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
No issues here at all with my 2015 X6 50i N63TU... Of course you can find horror stories on every make and model out there.. But if your worried.... I think your in a good spot as the 2016+ 50i has the N63TU2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERO X View Post
2014 50i with 72k miles, no significant engine issues yet. (Knocking on wood)
Awesome! Thank you all!
Appreciate 0