09-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #23
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post
I was told all X5s are assembled in USA.
It is very unfortunate that I never enjoyed a single drive in this car. Almost every day it's a test drive as had to experience different noises, or had to listen carefully to see if the noises got worse.

One consolation is that they will look after the car for 2 years.
Yes. you are right it's in Spartanburg Plant.

Don't settle with 2 years if it has problems at the early stages.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #24
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
Quote:
I was told all X5s are assembled in USA.
It is very unfortunate that I never enjoyed a single drive in this car. Almost every day it's a test drive as had to experience different noises, or had to listen carefully to see if the noises got worse.

One consolation is that they will look after the car for 2 years.
Yes. you are right it's in Spartanburg Plant.

Don't settle with 2 years if it has problems at the early stages.
Thanks
      09-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #25
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
I wish you were in my position, would you loose 152k?
You don’t have insurance?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #26
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Quote:
I wish you were in my position, would you loose 152k?
You don’t have insurance?
Company warranty is there. Want be the same after repairs though.
      09-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #27
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Sorry for your loss, but it normally happens in a country not having a good BMW dealer network or very low volume. Basically BMW neglects market spots like this and let the dealer do whatever the dealer wants. A lot of time you even get low quality non OEM parts.....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntp View Post
Sorry for your loss, but it normally happens in a country not having a good BMW dealer network or very low volume. Basically BMW neglects market spots like this and let the dealer do whatever the dealer wants. A lot of time you even get low quality non OEM parts.....
You are absolutely right. However, BMW should never compromise the quality of any unit of its cars.
      09-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #29
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Then why are you whining here? Take it to BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
You can call what ever you like see the attached.
That is called a “center cap”.
      09-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #31
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
They won’t repair a cooked one
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Then why are you whining here? Take it to BMW corporate.
I feel sorry for the OP. In that part of the world, you are nothing, zero, nill... when dealing with the so-called Corporate, unless you are part of the local authority where BMW has significant other business interests. It's all economics 101 or 102 ! BMW or any car maker has more to loose here in the U.S. when not dealing with customer complaints than in other low volume markets.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #33
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Left-hand-drive or right-hand-drive, doesn't make a difference. All X5 are built in USA
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
I feel sorry for the OP. In that part of the world, you are nothing, zero, nill...
I had completely different experience. When they sell less then 500 cars a year overall - they treat you much better because every sale matter. And if you've got great relationships with SA, you can get much more then you can get in Canada or in US because BMW is not paying that close attention in what they are doing. I had stuff replaced under the warranty were SA in Canada or US will not even talk with you about. Sometimes I was surprised myself that they agreed to do that. Or, for example, coming without an appointment and getting things done the same day was not a problem at all.

Last edited by TheUltimateDrivingManiac; 09-11-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I would never want to be one of the few to drive a BMW in a region where BMWs aren't the norm, and where I have to rely on a single dealership. And paying $152K for a more basic X5 is just crazy. I wouldn't pay more than a third of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #36
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Quote:
I feel sorry for the OP. In that part of the world, you are nothing, zero, nill...
I had completely different experience. When they sell less then 500 cars a year overall - they treat you much better because every sale matter. And if you've got great relationships with SA, you can get much more then you can get in Canada or in US because BMW is not paying that close attention in what they are doing. I had stuff replaced under the warranty were SA in Canada or US will not even talk with you about. Sometimes I was surprised myself that they agreed to do that. Or, for example, coming without an appointment and getting things done the same day was not a problem at all.
Only thing good about this car is that voice command recognition is better than Siri in Iphone.

Can someone please tell me if you have experienced steering hums, steering rack noise and brake booster thumping noises in a car done only 580 kilometers. Our authorised agent says these are normal for a X5.

Also, is there a email to complain directly to BMW Germany, head office.

ChamindaB
      09-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #37
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

Quote:
Can someone please tell me if you have experienced steering hums, steering rack noise and brake booster thumping noises in a car done only 580 kilometers. Our authorised agent says these are normal for a X5.
ChamindaB
That is bull crap unless if you are imaging things in your head.

The noise regarding tailgate - check whether lower part of the tailgate is closed properly. You need to literally close it with force. If not when you close the upper part if wont fit perfectly.

Here is the email addresses:
Customer.Service(at)bmw.com

Usually they will have their regional folks in Singapore contact you.

You need to tell them the whole story. $150k is too much for vehicle that is manufacture in 2016/12. Usually dealers give them at discounted rate to clear the stock unless you are lying here. Tell them the CIF value without taxes and all the issues you encountered. If your dealer gave you a big discount (than the usual price they sell) you may be trouble convincing BMW AG.

Anyway good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #38
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
Quote:
ChamindaB
That is bull crap unless if you are imaging things in your head.

The noise regarding tailgate - check whether lower part of the tailgate is closed properly. You need to literally close it with force. If not when you close the upper part if wont fit perfectly.

Here is the email addresses:
Customer.Service(at)bmw.com

Usually they will have their regional folks in Singapore contact you.

You need to tell them the whole story. $150k is too much for vehicle that is manufacture in 2016/12. Usually dealers give them at discounted rate to clear the stock unless you are lying here. Tell them the CIF value without taxes and all the issues you encountered. If your dealer gave you a big discount (than the usual price they sell) you may be trouble convincing BMW AG.

Anyway good luck!
Thanks, you should know better as a X5 user, if you really are, as it has an electric tailgate which closes automatically when a button is pressed. Also, if the lower part is not properly closed, there is a warning on the dashboard and the tailgate want even move as it could damage the lock mechanism. Surprisingly these options work in this car. Also when the dealer put a scissor cut sound insulation tape on the damper rubbers on either side of the boot frame the noise stopped. so I am not talking crap. See how cheap the repair is, at least they could have changed the rubbers to make it look original. After all this car has done only 580 kilometers.
Kind regards,
      09-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #39
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
I've never seen hubcaps on an x5
He probably means center caps
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #40
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Quote:
They won’t repair a cooked one
How do you know for sure it's cooked ? I am confused. I shared a picture. It's a genuine car with lot of factory defects. BMW's poor quality is to be blamed. Korean and Japanese cars have higher standards.
      09-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #41
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
How do you know for sure it's cooked ? I am confused. I shared a picture. It's a genuine car with lot of factory defects. BMW's poor quality is to be blamed. Korean and Japanese cars have higher standards.
He offers you to burn your X5 down and get payed by insurance. And I hope he is trying to be funny.
      09-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #42
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Quote:
He offers you to burn your X5 down and get payed by insurance. And I hope he is trying to be funny.
Oh I get it. Thanks,
      09-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #43
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Disappointed big time with the X5. Paid USD 152,000 with local taxes.

It's a brand-new car manufactured in USA
At only 580km on the meter, after few weeks of usage here are the faults and issues.

Steering hum when turning.
Suspension noise coming from front sides, spreading to the center along the steering rack, as if an old vehicle badly maintained.
Thumping noise from brake booster. Also comes when park brake is engaged.
Driver seat belt warning malfunctioning, even at 50kmph no warning.
Two hub caps lost, weaken bonding, emblem comes off.
Chrome molding on rear bumper came off, weak double sided sticker.
Speed warning does not rest and does not warn if speed is exceed, even after dropping speed below the set limit by 10kmph.
Does only 11 km per liter of petrol on expressway at 100kmph, on eco pro.
Auto lights want turnoff in broad daylight. There was nothing covering the sensor.
Boot door makes noises, as if an old vehicle badly maintained.

What a disappointment. Dealer is willing to cover with warranty. Who wants to remove all parts and repair a brand-new car.

Does X5 have any quality control at all before releasing the cars to customers?
OP, this is my 2cents. Currently, i own second F15, my first one one 2015, and current is 2017. I read and re-read the list of your complaints, and find it very strange. Looks like ( and it is just my opinion) that many parts on your car are not original. Who knows, maybe some stuff was stripped from your car and later replaced with non-OEM plastic parts? The only couple of things looking to be legit to me are parking brakes making noise when engaged, which is PERFECTLY normal, and rear hatch making a noise when the body is flexing, which is literally cost nothing to fix.
For instance, chrome molding is NOT attached by a two-sided tape, it is attached with clips. Original central cups ARE NOT like you have on a picture. I can go on about every point in your original post. Seatbelt chime can be coded to be off, which means someone has already coded it or attempted to do so, as well as the sensitivity of sensor turning on and off lights and wipers. Sorry.
      09-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #44
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Quote:
Disappointed big time with the X5. Paid USD 152,000 with local taxes.

It's a brand-new car manufactured in USA
At only 580km on the meter, after few weeks of usage here are the faults and issues.

Steering hum when turning.
Suspension noise coming from front sides, spreading to the center along the steering rack, as if an old vehicle badly maintained.
Thumping noise from brake booster. Also comes when park brake is engaged.
Driver seat belt warning malfunctioning, even at 50kmph no warning.
Two hub caps lost, weaken bonding, emblem comes off.
Chrome molding on rear bumper came off, weak double sided sticker.
Speed warning does not rest and does not warn if speed is exceed, even after dropping speed below the set limit by 10kmph.
Does only 11 km per liter of petrol on expressway at 100kmph, on eco pro.
Auto lights want turnoff in broad daylight. There was nothing covering the sensor.
Boot door makes noises, as if an old vehicle badly maintained.

What a disappointment. Dealer is willing to cover with warranty. Who wants to remove all parts and repair a brand-new car.

Does X5 have any quality control at all before releasing the cars to customers?
OP, this is my 2cents. Currently, i own second F15, my first one one 2015, and current is 2017. I read and re-read the list of your complaints, and find it very strange. Looks like ( and it is just my opinion) that many parts on your car are not original. Who knows, maybe some stuff was stripped from your car and later replaced with non-OEM plastic parts? The only couple of things looking to be legit to me are parking brakes making noise when engaged, which is PERFECTLY normal, and rear hatch making a noise when the body is flexing, which is literally cost nothing to fix.
For instance, chrome molding is NOT attached by a two-sided tape, it is attached with clips. Original central cups ARE NOT like you have on a picture. I can go on about every point in your original post. Seatbelt chime can be coded to be off, which means someone has already coded it or attempted to do so, as well as the sensitivity of sensor turning on and off lights and wipers. Sorry.
I was thinking the same way. Someone already went to town on your car with coding and parts. Although some of those complaints seem a bit silly to be honest. Clunking in steering is probably bad lower control arms. BMW used bad rubber in the bushings. Even if not driven. My 2014s went bad at 20k miles. Others haven't gone bad at all. But they are covered under warranty. The center caps look fake but maybe on the 40e which is what I'm assuming you have with that blue metallic looking grill. Hopefully someone with a 40e can confirm or a quick google search.

The rear lower hatch is NOT automatic btw. Only the top. And you certainly close the top without the bottom being fully latched. I've done it a time or two just as the other member mentioned. This can cause a loud clunk in the back. But I get pops and clunks from the rear plastic on the door flexing when going over bumps etc quite often
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0