BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #133
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Waiting on my GPS splitter. .Should be here today.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #134
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Look what came early ..lol. just waiting on my splitter and this bad boy goes in. cant wait.

On another note, i ordered this last Thursday night. And its here 5 days later. j can't get packages from California this quick. 5***** just for shipping alone. lets see how this goes tomorrow when the splitter comes.
They come quick cuz they all "overnight" them. That's the only way to avoid customs issues. Both units I got from China came in under a week. It's great. Don't try sending them back though. Cost ya an arm and a leg. And they're only insured until they get to China. Then fingers crossed lol. Unless you pay $100 to have UPS deliver it the entire way. Haha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #135
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Waiting on my GPS splitter. .Should be here today.
Ya it's been 2 days! This better be installed! Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #136
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

Im in NYC and its TOO HOT lol... I know you hear about this 110` heat wave we in. Im scared to install now. ...i could bake bread in tha car when left out .lol
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #137
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Sode not..i was looking at external mic. Heard some say that internal mic barely picks up commands. So im thinking of adding one of those omnidirectional 3.5mm mics from amazon and installing it in the middle vent somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #138
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Quote:
Look what came early ..lol. just waiting on my splitter and this bad boy goes in. cant wait.

On another note, i ordered this last Thursday night. And its here 5 days later. j can't get packages from California this quick. 5***** just for shipping alone. lets see how this goes tomorrow when the splitter comes.
They come quick cuz they all "overnight" them. That's the only way to avoid customs issues. Both units I got from China came in under a week. It's great. Don't try sending them back though. Cost ya an arm and a leg. And they're only insured until they get to China. Then fingers crossed lol. Unless you pay $100 to have UPS deliver it the entire way. Haha
Yup my sentiments exactly. I returned a Unichip CarPlay adapter via USPS recently. PayPal held up my refund for weeks, because the tracking information stopped updating once it reached Beijing China, far from its final destination.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #139
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Im in NYC and its TOO HOT lol... I know you hear about this 110` heat wave we in. Im scared to install now. ...i could bake bread in tha car when left out .lol
Here too. It's extreme here today.
Thanks goodness for A/C !!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #140
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
110 index here in northern VA
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #141
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Installed but gpt no signal ..and nothing from idrive side. Time to do it all over again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #142
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

So im communicating with the seller on WhatsApp and i was told i didnt hook up the fiber optic cables, hence no signal issue.

Hey Mav, did you hook up the middle speaker in / middle speaker out cable?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #143
in_kristal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 iDrive 35i m Sport

Suspend instead of reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
Hey there, I did it, I changed the screen for an aftermarket version.

Here is the version I acquired, from 4x4shop.ca, select Android 8.1, and take the GPS Antenna Splitter.
You can take the CarPlay/Android auto USB Dongle, I tried to use it with Android, no success. I need to test it with an iPhone for CarPlay, and I'll update the thread.

To start with the conclusion, would I recommend it?
Yes
, definitely, if you are looking for a way to have any Android app on your infotainment (waze, google maps, android auto,etc.)

How does it work?

So the BMW "brain" of the system is behind your CD player in the front. The screen is just a screen, there is nothing else into it. It's the same you will have with a desktop computer: The tower is the "brain", and the screen is just a dumb component that display a picture.
When you replace the screen, what you do is install an Android tablet with a video input, so the BMW system will work exactly the same as before, you will have in addition an Android system that is working at the touch of your fingers, and to some extend with the idrive wheel controller.
Then you have a harness that is going in between the car and the BMW "brain", that intercepts and send signals to the Android interface.

+ and -

The good
- Hardware is powerful enough to make the experience fluid
- Android 8.1, so you can install all the recent apps
- Integration with the physical buttons
- Possible to use the BMW interface only if you want
- Possible to install any Android launcher, and to create the experience you want, no limit here except the time you want to spend on it
- Navigation button launch the app you want
- Switch from BMW system to Android with holding the menu button
- Screen quality, no reflection/glare (even if it looks different in the pictures, it does not look glossy when you look at it)

The meh
- No camera, that would be great for video calls
- Software does not have all the Google services installed, you have to side load a bunch of apk to have a full Android experience,
- The option/settings apps is not very well designed
- No automatic screen brightness with ambient light
- I wish they would offer the option with 4G/LTE, as it's an extension card on the hardware
- The hardware: plastics are not qualitative, assembly is not very well done, gaps in between all elements. It looks bad when you open the box, but when it's installed, you don't notice it as it's a bit further away, and you don't see the back. It is far, far, far away from the BMW screen in term of assembly and plastics quality.

The bad
- The interface that pretend to be a BMW interface, and is absolutely not (but you can change it)
- Microphone has a hard time to capture the sound from far, you have to lean towards the screen to make it work
- The wifi only works in 2.4Ghz (no 5Ghz)

How to install?

The hardware
It's very easy, don't freak out, you only have 6 screws to remove.
I watched 2 videos, and it's well explained:
Here is how to remove the dashboard and screen
Here is how to connect the harness and the screen
You will actually not use most of the connectors, it's only the basics ones that you need. The audio works fine, no need to do the hack they are talking about. I recommend to tape the extra cables together, to make everything look nice and not have things all over the place.
For the double USB entries that they put in the glove box, it's not mandatory. I put the cable from the center to bellow the glove box (in the fuse box), and it gets out at the passenger feet. You will see, there is a hole, and you can run the cable along the center console, no drill, no hole, it just goes nicely. I will actually not use any of the USB cable, so will let them inside the fuse box.

The install was much easier than I thought it would, it was super fast to install.

The software
Ok, here, the first thing I recommend you to do is installing another launcher. Seriously, the interface is bad, really bad.
I tried a couple, and ended with Smart Launcher 5, it has an interface that works very well as an infotainment (big button, shortcuts, gestures...).
Side load the Google Contacts Sync 8.1.0 (and only this version), then go in Android settings, in permissions, and give permission to the app.
Install the Google app.
Install the Google assistant.
Side load Android Auto, and launch the app, it will ask you to install a couple more services. Do it and launch the app again, it should work.
Install the last Contacts App (you can put a dark them on it), and uninstall the old contact app (check with the icon).
Install any app you'd like from the Play store (Waze, the Weather Channel, Calendar, YouTube, Duo, Messages, Messenger, Hangout, Netflix, Audible, Spotify, etc.).
Have fun configuring the launcher to your taste.

The review

Watch here

Basically, things did not start well. Assembly and plastics quality being what it is, I had doubt on the look when installed, but honestly, I have no pb with it now (and I am a crazy person regarding to details and quality).
Then the software, oh my, I wanted to return it, it's terrible! There is nothing worse for me than pretending to be something you are not.
But here is the thing, what you have is an android device... So install a launcher, apps, widgets, and whatever you want to create the experience you are happy with.

So with the setup I have now, I am very happy with it, and can definitely recommend it. I put my phone in hotspot, the unit connect to the wifi, and I am good to go. It feels so good to not have a phone and "stuff" in the middle console, and use the infotainment to have waze, Spotify and company. It was my goal, and it works well.

Next steps

I have still some experiments to do, and will update the thread:
- Carplay
- Some Bluetooth experimentation
- I have a random crash of the Smart Launcher 5 when the system starts, might not be happy with another app I installed, it's nothing, I'll see if I have time to fix it one day
- Improving the microphone (might have to unmount the screen and check the hardware)

My dream?
The same unit, better plastics, better finish (no gaps), better microphone(s), light sensor, camera, 4G/LTE sim card slot.
That's it... I would pay double to have all this, because it's so worth it.

Need help?

Feel free to ask questions, and if you make the jump, I'll be happy to help!
If you live near San Francisco, you can also come by, test the system, and I can install it with you if it makes you feel better
Hi, thanks for sharing. Also got my Android 9.0 unit. Does your unit restarts everytime you start your car? I cant seem to turn it on while car is not running. Do you have similar issue? Or have any thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #144
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Noticed the Avin 9.0 unit is in stock now. I thought I remembered reading that their new one was only 480p? Looking at the site, it still only shops this in the tech specs. If so, this is an odd gamble considering the competitor's offerings at 720.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #145
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Noticed the Avin 9.0 unit is in stock now. I thought I remembered reading that their new one was only 480p? Looking at the site, it still only shops this in the tech specs. If so, this is an odd gamble considering the competitor's offerings at 720.
Quote:
So im communicating with the seller on WhatsApp and i was told i didnt hook up the fiber optic cables, hence no signal issue.

Hey Mav, did you hook up the middle speaker in / middle speaker out cable?
No issues here. You definitely need to hook up the fiber optic cable though. Not sure what you mean by middle speaker out cable. All I did was swap green fiber optic Into new harness and then plug in both harness. Oem into adapter and new one into back of NBT.

Quote:
Not sure what brand you are talking about. This thread isn't about a specific brand. Avin doesn't offer a 720p screen. Some on Aliexpress do. And so does 4x4.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #146
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Hi in the future please don't quote long posts like this. Makes it very hard to read through and reply too. Plus just makes the pages super long.

To turn it on you have to push the start/stop button at least once. Just like you wanted to listen to the radio with the car off. And yes it restarts every time you start the car. It doesn't have a battery like a tablet.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #147
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No issues here. You definitely need to hook up the fiber optic cable though. Not sure what you mean by middle speaker out cable. All I did was swap green fiber optic Into new harness and then plug in both harness. Oem into adapter and new one into back of NBT.

Not sure what brand you are talking about. This thread isn't about a specific brand. Avin doesn't offer a 720p screen. Some on Aliexpress do. And so does 4x4.
I mentioned the Avin 9.0 in my post. I just wanted clarification that their 9.0 is 480p VS others (Ali) at 720p. I am waiting to see what Supersixm thinks of the Ali model before purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #148
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mentioned the Avin 9.0 in my post. I just wanted clarification that their 9.0 is 480p VS others (Ali) at 720p. I am waiting to see what Supersixm thinks of the Ali model before purchasing.
Ill insfall the fiber wire today and hook everything up. Ill probab make a video too .
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #149
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ill insfall the fiber wire today and hook everything up. Ill probab make a video too .

Can't wait for your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #150
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Maverick. Get in here lol...Who said its not hard is a liar lol. I cannot get this going for the life of me.

So after further tinkering, i was able to get pass the 'no signal' screen on car side. I got OEM NBT screen and knob worked but that all. Problem was i didnt swap the fiber wire. But even then i got nothing because the connection to the main HU wasn't seated properly. Again, android side worked as intended but still no sound.

What im not getting is;
No sound on both sides.
No chimes
No AM/FM Radio
No SAT Radio
No camera
No vehicle info

First off ..This harness is way to big.

Secondly. Whoever designed these units is an idiot. Why not one cable (like BMW) from the rear of the screen. Im goig from 1 to 3 cables and possibly 4 if you add the USB/Mic cable and there is still one more for god know what.

Third. When using the vinyl cradle bottom for the screen, it raises the 2 screw holes higher than original, which makes it hard to catch the screw hole of the car. Literally have to fight it down to catch.

Couple scares.
Blue connector that goes to HVAC. I thought i broke it for more than hour and literally had a panic attack because the Hvac screen would go in and out. I saw $2500 at least down the drain. Realized that was not seated properly. Back to normal.

So i took everything back out and went back to stock. And everything is OK.

Dunno WTF im doing wrong. So i went back to stock. Eve[IMG]undefined[/IMG]rything back to normal..

Maybe someone can rell me where i went wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #151
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Can the fibre optic wires be backwards? As the can go in either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #152
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can the fibre optic wires be backwards? As the can go in either way.
Yikes! This sounds like a nightmare (puts money back in wallet).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #153
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ill say this. The parts are solid. But even solid parts break. They say its easy but break a factory connector or pinch; expose a wire and your fcuked.

Removal of trim is fairly easy. Some connectors are extremely tight. Some are complicated to unclip as well.

But i will try again.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #154
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Ill say this. The parts are solid. But even solid parts break. They say its easy but break a factory connector or pinch; expose a wire and your fcuked.

Removal of trim is fairly easy. Some connectors are extremely tight. Some are complicated to unclip as well.

But i will try again.
Oh no what happened. Did you break something. I haven't found anything difficult. Did you check the fiber optic cables. As mentioned they can be inserted upside down. Let me know how I can help

Reread what you posted. And let's see. I agree that the cables going to the new screen are a pain to get in with the power supply, GPS, and oem display. The oem can't be integrated so I get that but the gps should be integrated for sure.

I also had the same issue with the screen not seating down And lining up the screw holes which I mentioned in my review. I couldn't actually get mine to line up so my screen isn't actually screwed in.

As far as the havoc blue and white connector just make sure when taking it out you push down on the middle of the connect and then pull down the arm. As you pull down the arm it pulls out the plug. When putting it back in make sure you start with the lever arm fully down and then when you seat the plug you pull that arm up and it should seat the plug perfectly for you. After doing it a couple times it's super easy now.

One thing I did notice is your screen quality seems to be really bad. Is that just the camera or that real?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0